Please sign in to post.

Shoes

I'm following Rick's advice and i'm only bringing one pair of shoes. I picked up a pair of Keen all black trail runners that are super light, water proof and have a nice tread on the bottom.

however, I also need to bring a pair of sandals for showering in hostels. Are there any sandals out there that are waterpoof that are also comfortable enough to walk around town in, on the beach, etc? I looked at some chaco's, but they are very heavy and expensive.

Posted by
9110 posts

Take one pair of shoes. Run some hot water first to chase other people's foot cooties down the drain. Dry your feet after you shower.

Posted by
1806 posts

Sometimes shoes that you think cause no problems in the States can suddenly cause problems when you walk around in them for 15-18 hours a day in Europe. It's actually better to bring a back-up pair, but if you are tight on luggage space, at least pick up a stick of Body Glide at your local sporting goods store. Helps tremendously if you put it on your feet to avoid getting blisters or hot spots.

A $5 pair of flip flops from Old Navy take up hardly any space and are good for hostel showers and a trip to the beach. If you are going to buy a waterproof sandal, Keen has the Newport H2s that I used in New Zealand & Australia on trails, beaches, in riverbeds and also to wear around town. I got my pair for $50 on the clearance section of REI's website.

Posted by
10548 posts

I always take a pair of Old Navy flip flops that cost $2.50. I use them to wear around the room, etc. They are cheap, so you can always leave them behind on the way home.

Posted by
12313 posts

If you just want a cheap, lightweight, waterproof shower shoe, I'll second the vote for Old Navy flip-flops. Whether they're comfortable or not is another question. The normal price is $2.50 but they have them on special for $1 a pair periodically. If you spot the sale, get there early, buy any pair and exchange them later in the week for the right size and color.