Please sign in to post.

In addition to Venice?

Me and my wife are planning a vacation to Europe in early June. We will be arriving in Venice from Delhi on Jun 8th and departing from Venice back to Delhi on June 16th...so we have about 9 days. In addition to Venice, which other cities in Europe we can do? We are looking for a romantic vacation....both of us like historical monuments, walking in streets and sitting in piazzas.....

Posted by
517 posts

Ahhh! One week in Europe with Venice as a base. Very nice. Well, Venice deserves at least 2 or 3 days. You will kick yourself if you don't give La Serenissima at least that much time. What a stunning city! If it were me, I'd probably then shoot up to Bolzano (and environs) and spend 2 days or so in the Italian Alps for a completely different type of scenery. With that, alas, your week is pretty much done (considering that travel days will also be required). Maybe squeeze in a day in Verona too. You could also substitute Florence for Bolzano if the alps aren't a high priority for you. But I probably wouldn't go much farther afield given the limited time available. Have a great trip.

Posted by
12172 posts

Verona is a great idea. It has excellent history and architecture. Plus you can see the Romeo and Juliet sights for romance. If the opera in the ampitheater is running in early June, I wouldn't miss it.

Posted by
559 posts

The city of Padova is about 30 - 45 minutes away from Venice. I spent some time there last year on a RS Tour and I really enjoyed it! It wasn't a city I knew much about before traveling there, but I would recommend it. There's plenty of piazzas and architecture. Enjoy your trip!

Posted by
23 posts

Thanks folks. I have been to Verona, Rome, Pisa and Milan in Italy (though my wife hasn't been there). Would love some suggestions outside Italy. We love traveling by train...

Posted by
7209 posts

You've been as far south as Rome...have you been to the Amalfi Coast? You only 7 full days of vacation time. The other two days involve arrival/departure. You will be very limited to get to a different country AND return to Venice in such a short time. You can use EasyJet from Venice Marco Polo or perhaps some other low cost carriers from Treviso to get out of the country to a different destination...but that just causes you to have 2 more travel days in your already short vacation.

It's kind of hard to have a romantic vacation when most of your vacation time is spent flying or training to other destinations.

Posted by
16333 posts

Suggestions for outside Italy, and traveling by train? How about Switzerland? It's an easy train trip from Milan.

Luzern is a beautiful lakeside city, quite romantic as well. You could add a few days in the mountains to complete your trip by traveling by the scenic route to the Berner Oberland region. OR travel from Luzern to Arth-Goldau and pick up the Bernina Express route back into Italy. Spend a night or two around St. Moritz or Pontresina in Switzerland before continuing onto Tirano and from there to Venice (via Milan).

Posted by
23 posts

Thanks everyone. Sound like interesting options. I will explore more. How about doing Salzburg and Prague along with Venice? 3 days in venice and 2 each in prague and salzburg....