Please sign in to post.

Rick Steves Greece 2005 guide book

I have been looking for this book everywhere. It is just not to be found. It has obviously been discontinued. I realise it will be slightly out of date but I prefer Rick Steves books over others, information wise.

Does anyone have a copy they are willing to part with? If so, please let me know. I am in the UK.

Posted by
2788 posts

You say that you have been looking everywhere so I assume you have already tried contacting the Rick Steves headquarters in Edmonds, WA, USA to see if they have a copy in their extensive library. If you have not tried them, try them. If you already have tried them with no suscess, good luck in your hunt.

Posted by
46 posts

There was never a Greece book. There was the promise of one in 2005 but it never materialized. I once asked Rick (after a talk he gave) why there wasn't a Greece book and he said it required a lot of research to complete, too much to do in a way that was up to his standards.

We used Lonely Planet when we were in Greece. It is pretty good most of the time and they just updated it this year.

Posted by
10344 posts

Katharine is correct, there is no RS Greece book. I believe you can buy the Lonely Planet Greece book on this website, under Guidebooks.

Posted by
3313 posts

How many people know that Rick once published an "Asia Through the Back Door" guidebook?

I think it was a good decision to focus.

Posted by
10344 posts

Michelin guide (the green book) offers what some have called a more detailed or somewhat more "scholarly" (not quite the right word) approach, and they have a Greece book.

Posted by
2 posts

Thanks for the replies. It makes sense that it doesn't exist as it has proven extremely hard to find! :D The example and cover on Amazon seemed convincing though. What a shame that there is no Greece version.

Posted by
473 posts

When we planned our Greece trip, we used both Frommer's and Lonely Planet and were happy with both. Frommer's tends to have more higher-end hotels and restaurants, but they also provide a wealth of information about sights and transportation.

Posted by
7530 posts

They actually advertised a release date for the book, but as already mentioned, pulled it late in the plan. You can find articles about locations in Greece written by Rick on this site, but they are probably dated. Recommend Lonely Planet, and especially "Lets Go" guide