Please sign in to post.

iPhone in Europe...???

Greetings...Has anyone used an iPhone in Europe? I'm thinking of getting one...but want to be sure it'll work in France and Italy, etc. Also...in addition to the being able to phone back to the States...how reliable is the Internet? Thanks...June

Posted by
32212 posts

June,

My preference for travel (especially in Europe) would be a more "normal" GSM Phone. I believe the I-Phone is a quad-band model so it should work in Europe. However, AFAIK no one has figured out how to unlock them yet, so you would have to use roaming with AT&T (which can get expensive!).

I suspect the Internet (when accessed from the I-Phone) will be as reliable as in the U.S., however you might get a "rude awakening" when you get your bill! Most of the Euro cell networks are well along in rolling-out their 3G networks, but unfortunately the I-Phone is limited to EDGE data speeds, so can't take advantage of this (in addition, the I-Phone is not equipped with the 2100 MHz frequency used by the Euro 3G networks).

Good luck!

Posted by
20 posts

Thanks for the info! Think I'll wait on the iPhone. Just one more thing to have to keep track of.

Posted by
2779 posts

By the way the Toshiba Portege G900 and the Sony Ericcson P1 outmaneuver the iPhone completely plus you can change the battery and are free to use with any mobile phone provider you like. The Portege G900 even looks better in my opinion.

Posted by
32212 posts

June,

To further illustrate my point, you might be interested in this web link:

tech.yahoo.com/blogs/null/36084

A $3K bill to travel in Europe with an I-Phone is a bit extreme, except of course for those that can afford it!

Cheers!!!