Please sign in to post.

Lake Como or Lake Maggiore

My husband and I want to spend 3-4 nights at one of the lakes. Which one do you prefer and where do you recommend staying? A room with a balcony or terrace and a lake view is most important and I am willing to spend up to 150 euros. It is our 25th anniversary, so romance is key. Thank you!

Posted by
16312 posts

Albergo Milano in Varenna has lakefront rooms at that price, if not in the main hotel then in the annex "Casa Rossa". This is one of the places that Rick says "whispers luna di miele".

But where else are you going on your trip? that should weigh into the choice between Maggiore and Como.

Posted by
10344 posts

Lake Como/Varenna/lake front view--you gotta do it, since romance is the key.;)

Posted by
22 posts

We are flying into Venice and spending 3 nights, then a quick stop in Verona. then 3 nights each in Bolzano (or Castelrotto), Varenna (or Stresa), and CT. From CT we take the train to Rome where my husband has a week of business meetings and I will be free to explore Rome on my own.

Lola, the only room they have available at Albergo Milano is a lateral balcony view. I reserved it. I am finding hotels and B&B's are booking up quickly for June and July.

Posted by
10344 posts

"I am finding hotels and B&B's are booking up quickly for June and July."

Yep. That's high season for Varenna, esp. a stay that includes Friday or Saturday nights. There are only a small number of total rms in Varenna.

Posted by
16312 posts

Stresa would kind of be on your way to Cinque Terre, since you would go through Milan. But from photos and websites I have seen, it does not have the romantic qualities of Varenna.

I know what you mean about places booking up---I tried to add a room to our own reservation at Albergo Milano and they are all booked during our time frame.

Did you try Eremo Gaudio? Not lakefront, but wonderful views. My boss and his wife stayed there and loved it. La Toretta also sounds pretty nice, but I don't know anyone who has stayed there.

Posted by
22 posts

Thanks Lola, I will check those out. Do you have any idea how the lateral lake balcony view is? Even that room is 140 euros... high season.

Posted by
16312 posts

We haven't stayed there yet (we are goin gin June as well) so I don't know exactly what "lateral view" means in this case. From the website photo gallery is looks like the rooms are around the side of the building, still with a view of the lake but not direct (you have to turn you rhead!)

http://www.varenna.net/e/gallery.htm

I guess the quality of the view depends on how far back the room is. Maybe Kent has stayed there and knows?

Have you found a nice place in Venice?

Posted by
18 posts

I was unable to book Albergo Milano for 3 nights in early June and I contacted them very early in January. I did manage to find Hotel Du Lac in Varenna which offered us a room with a lake view. I always book rooms with views, it's a little more money, but worth it. I don't stay at big fancy generic hotels, but smaller hotels with nice rooms.

Posted by
22 posts

I see what you mean with the side balconies. In Venice I tried Al Gallion (along with many others), which was well rated on TripAdvisor, but it was booked. The owners son just opened a new B&B by the train station which got reasonably reviews, was well located and clean according to the reviews, includes breakfast and only costs 80 euros. More importantly is wasn't booked. It's called Allo Vera Da Pozzo.

Posted by
32213 posts

Susan,

Although you've now booked accommodations, I wanted to mention that either location would be great. However, as "romance is key" I'd have to lean towards Lago di Como and Varenna (there's a good reason Clooney has a Villa there - it's a very beautiful part of Italy).

During your time there, you might consider having dinner at Albergo Olivedo (right on the lake by the Ferry docks). Laura's Ravioli is excellent and sitting on the patio watching travellers coming and going in the late afternoon sun is something I always enjoy.

Happy travels!

Posted by
74 posts

Ahh this is making me so excited for our upcoming trip!! We booked the terrace room in the Albergo Milano as literally our first reseravation about a year ago (!!!) and we finally leave for italy in about 2 weeks. I'll definitely be back to report on all the places we stay. I think the place we are excited about the most though is Lake Como (and Varenna)

Posted by
655 posts

Lake Como would be my pick but it doesn't have to be Verenna. Review the Karen Brown website. One of the nicest visits we've ever had was at Albergo Villa Belvedere located right on the lake, and near to the ferry dock, in Argegno. If they have a lakeside room on the second floor, grab it. It has been a while since our visit but when we were there the food was also very good. This villa has been in the same family for generations.

Posted by
17 posts

Susan, We stayed at the Villa Toretta (which is also owned by the same family as the Olivedo)http://www.olivedo.it/eng/index.html We asked for a room, but actually had the gardener's cottage which was beautiful, secluded and overlooking the lake. You share the nice terrace of the Villa, also overlooking the lake and ferry dock. We sat there with our wine and cheese watching the world go by and ferries coming & going...and as mentioned earlier.... Laura's ravioli is some of the best we've had. Wonderful memories from Varenna & Lake Como. Happy Anniversary!