Please sign in to post.

Customs

I am going to Europe on Saturday and am landing London with a 7 hour layover. Our bags are going directly to Rome which we fly to on Sunday night. My question is: Since our bags are going directly to Rome, do my parents and I have to go through customs. Sorry this is my first trip out of the US. Thanks!

Posted by
5530 posts

If you are staying in the airport during your layover, you will not go through immigration (passport control) or customs. However, you will go through a security check. Heathrow is very well-marked with signs; just follow the flight connections signs on arrival and make sure you know if you need to change terminals to get to your connecting flight.

If you go to the Heathrow website, and select flight connections, there is detailed info on the steps that you will go through on arrival. The order depends on the terminal to which you arrive and the terminal from which you depart.

Have a great trip!

Posted by
5530 posts

I just want to add one thing to Steve's post ... If you leave the airport, Customs is a walkthrough, but immigration is not. If you leave the airport, you go through immigration (passport control) first which I've had take anywhere from 5 minutes to an hour. I just want to mention this because some travelers use the word customs when they really mean immigration.