Please sign in to post.

Switzerland & Train travel

Hello the wife and I are in the planning stages of going to Switzerland in late July 2010. We would like to go to Gimmelwald, Grindelwald and Interlaken, If we stayed at Interlaken are you able to go to these other places with public transportation? Also if any of you have any other suggestion our minds are open and have no definite plans as of yet. Also is The Bahn the train travel for four counties? Thanks for this wonderful site.
Thanks you;
Gerd

Posted by
3551 posts

Interlaken to Gimmelwald is easy however I would suggest you stay in Muerren and walk down to Gimmelwald.Or stya in Lauterbrunnen Valley and see the rest of the area around Gimmelwald which is terrific. Grindelwald is a little more difficult to reach via public transit and alot more expenive to stay in.

Posted by
7209 posts

Interlaken is best used as a transportation hub of train connections. Stay either in Lauterbrunnen or in the villages on either side of Lauterbrunne. Murren and Gimmelwald are on one side while Wengen is on the other side.

Posted by
32209 posts

Gerd,

I definitely agree with the other suggestions to "base" in the Lauterbrunnen Valley. You could stay either in Lauterbrunnen, up in Gimmelwald or Murren, or in Wengen. Your choice will depend to some extent on what type of "experience" you're looking for.

At that time of year, it may be BUSY in that area, so pre-booking accommodations would be a good idea.

Staying in Grindelwald for a few days is certainly possible too, but as the others mentioned it's more "touristy" and more expensive. You could also stay a night or two at Interlaken and perhaps take a cruise on the lake or whatever.

You may want to have a look at the Switzerland Guidebook to get some ideas not only on sightseeing in that area, but also accommodations in various price ranges in each of the locations. The book is a wealth of information!

Happy travels!

Posted by
7209 posts

You don't need to stay in Interlaken to take a cruise on the lake...Interlaken is only a short 20 minute train ride from Lauterbrunnen.

Posted by
32209 posts

Tim,

"You don't need to stay in Interlaken to take a cruise on the lake"

Yes, that's true. That was only one of the "or whatever" activities I was trying to sugggest.

Cheers!

Posted by
7209 posts

Ken,

Yes, I understand. But most of those "whatever" activities can all be done from Lauterbrunnen with ease.

Regards,
Tim