Please sign in to post.

international SIM cards

Can anyone advise on best to buy to cover: UK, Germany, Turkey, Israel, Isle of Man
cheers

Diane

Posted by
32212 posts

diane,

For visiting multiple countries, you might have a look at the "travel SIM's" offered by firms such as Call In Europe, Roam Simple, Cellular Abroad, Mobal, Telestial or others. Have a look at their websites to get some idea on what the costs will be based on your anticipated calling patterns.

I'm not a big fan of using a separate SIM for each country, as everytime you change SIM's, your phone number changes. That makes it a bit difficult for your contacts to know which number you're using at any given time.

If you're only going to be using the phone very occasionally, and already have a plan with either AT&T or T-Mobile, you might have a look at their international calling plans (which reduce the roaming charges slightly).

Good luck and happy travels!

Posted by
9110 posts

If you're ever going to do more international travel, and you don't talk a lot, there are simpler, cheaper ways.

Posted by
300 posts

I just want to post my observation that the calling rates for new Mobal customers are higher than established customers get. As an example - calls to the US from France used to be $1.50/minute, now it's $1.95/minute. I'm still getting $1.50 on my account. Incoming calls are $1.50 per minute where they sued to be $1.25

Now, that's a lot more expensive per minute than the calling rates with an in-country SIM, but you have to buy the SIM and a minimum number of minutes first. With my Mobal SIM my total calling cost for my recent 2-week trip to Paris was around $10.

Posted by
9110 posts

I'm with Peter. I've had the same Mobal phone and number for years. Use the phone in Tokyo, Buenas Aires, etc without having to go looking for self-expiring sims. Last solo trip was about three weeks -- called home every couple of days in the interest of marital politeness -- cost less than thirty bucks -- spent more than that on morning coffee.

Posted by
2 posts

Thanks to all of you for your responses. As a novice to cell phones I can see this is more complicated than I imagined. We will not be making a lot of calls and only having one phone # is appealing even at additional expense. Never heard of Mobal and I've been involved in web searches to find out more. As we travel out of the States quite a bit having an international phone could be the way to go. Our current cell is pay-as-you-go, so we're not locked into a contract with any company, but it is a cheap tracfone and not suitable for an international SIM.
My thanks again and hope this is useful for other travellers.....back to the research! Cheers Diane

Posted by
32212 posts

diane,

As you're presently using a "TracPhone", you'll also need to buy a phone. You can either buy a quad-band, unlocked GSM Phone from E-Bay or purchase a phone from one of the "Travel SIM" firms I mentioned in my previous post.

Given the fact that you stated "we travel out of the States quite a bit", I would still suggest having a look at the rates for at least Roam Simple & Call In Europe. If you're using the phone on a regular basis in multiple countries, it may be the most cost effective solution. One thing to keep in mind is that some travel SIM's "expire" if not used or topped-up for a period of time (often 6 months). Some firms allow customers to retain the number indefinitely by paying an additional fee.

I've been travelling with a Cell phone for a number of years, but I still haven't found a "perfect solution". The convenience comes at a cost, and the challenge is to find the option that offers the lowest price. I try to use text as much as possible when travelling, as it's much less expensive that voice calls.

Good luck!

Posted by
12172 posts

Diane,

I have a T-Mobile razor phone that is set up for international calling (through them). They charge about a dollar a minute.

If I have my phone unlocked (haven't done it yet but supposed to be able to get it done at any T-Mobile store), I can buy a sim card from any kiosk when I arrive in any country. The prices for calling, from within that country, are dirt cheap (a couple cents a minute) and no charge for receiving calls.

The sim card I purchase in France, however, won't be cheap in Italy (any more than using my T-Mobile account in France). If I'm traveling in more than one country, as I most often am, I can get a sim card for each country (a lot of up front costs), use my phone (higher per minute charges), buy a one-country PIN card for each country (low cost and low per minute charges - but have to use pay phones) or a PIN card that works in multiple countries (not as cheap as one country cards and a risk that it won't work as advertised).

I keep weighing the costs vs. advantages and, so far, am still using my T-mobile phone as an emergency line and buying PIN cards to make the majority of my calls.

I rarely take calls on the T-Mobile account. If I did, the charge for taking those calls while traveling would add up quickly.

If I traveled to one country almost exclusively, I would certainly get a SIM card for that country. So far that's not the case for me.

Posted by
9363 posts

Another vote for Mobal, for ease of use and convenience of not having to purchase a SIM everywhere, not having to change SIMs when crossing borders, and never buying minutes I won't use or paying monthly service charges.