Please sign in to post.

Itinerary Order

Hi,

Planning to go to Europe mid-June through part of August (6-7 weeks total). Our itinerary will look as follows: Istanbul, Greek Islands (Naxos, Santorini, Crete), Athens, Florence, Cinque Terre, Naples, Venice, Milan, Chamoinix, Paris. The Italy order isn't finalized yet, as we are not sure about Naples. I figure with this order we would get to the greek islands earlier in the high season, than if we reverse the itinerary (Paris to Istanbul). Is this correct thinking? or does getting to the greek islands at the start of July vs end of July matter?

As far as airfare right now, one option isn't cheaper than the other, but if flying into Paris & out of Istanbul beacame cheaper, would it be a mistake to reverse the intinerary?

Any input/ideas would be greatly apprecited!

Posted by
9110 posts

Either Paris or Istanbul is a great way to cap a trip.

I can't comment on high vs low season since I don't go that way very often in the summer.

A couple of thoughts on the weather:

sea-level temperature will be pretty much the same during the entire period at all the places

Milan will be a bit cooler, Chamoinix a lot cooler, of course

Paris will be maybe ten degrees cooler than the sea level spots on any given day -- but August has the worst humidity of any time of year with precious little breeze

all that being said, it would be odd if you saw ninty degrees anywhere

Given my druthers I'd start in Paris if the trip were going to extend much past the first week in August, but I wouldn't pay an extra dime to do it.