Please sign in to post.

GPS devices

What would be a good handheld portable GPS device to take to Europe? Also if its an English version how easy is that to correlate with road signs in French, German, & Italian?

Posted by
4 posts

We rented a magellan unit with our Hertz car in Scotland. It worked well if you knew the exact destination including street number of the hotel but was confusing if you knew the street name and not the number. Also,you might find the hotel or restaurant you wanted but be unable to find parking. In Edinburgh we found the hotel no problem but circled for an hour before there was space to pull up in front of the hotel so my husband could jump out and ask about where we could park since I am handicapped and can't walk very far. Do your homework on addresses ahead and I think itis worthwhile to use the gps if you will drive a lot but bring a map too.

Posted by
542 posts

If you just want a Road Navigator ( and not a GPS for geocaching or backpack hiking), I recommend the Tom Tom Navigator with built maps of the US and Europe.
I'm not sure what you mean by correlate with road signs. When you enter the address destination, the Tom Tom shows you the roads by Name or number) the voice (we set ours for the English female voice) tells you when to turn. At roundabouts in England, it tells you to take the second or third or first exit
Of course you should always bring a map as a back-up,