Please sign in to post.

Channel Islands

After a tour of Normandy, France, I'm going to St. Malo in early July. From there I'd like to take a ferry to the Channel Islands for a few days and then continue on by ferry to the south coast of England. Can anyone give me first hand info on the ferries and on the Channel Islands, including suggestions of a place to stay?

Posted by
9110 posts

The best place I've ever seen for ferry information is directferries.co.uk

Posted by
354 posts

hi Karen, great, you're going to the beautiful Channel Islands! It's wonderful for walkers and people who like the outdoors ... and who don't mind a bit of rain on occasion. I went some years ago, thoroughly enjoyed it. Condor Ferries runs the ferries between St Malo-Jersey and St Malo-Guernsey, and to southern England. Lots of lovely walking trails on the islands, including cliffside trails or walks to beaches (I particularly enjoyed Herm island). You could also go birdwatching - puffins and seabirds. Duty free status, as Linda pointed out in the last post, means that you can, and probably should, do most of your shopping there. I can't recommend a hotel as I stayed with a friend working in Guernsey. It also depends on which island you plan to base yourself in. If you're planning to use Jersey or Guernsey as a base since the ferries from St Malo stop there, and if you're not planning to rent a car, then you might prefer to choose a hotel in the main towns (St Helier, Jersey and St Peter Port, Guernsey). Although bus services are regular, a car might be more convenient if you intend to stay in a relatively 'quieter' location. Please feel free to private message me if you'd like to ask about more details. And check the website visitchannelislands.com.

Posted by
3 posts

Thank you, everyone, for your suggestions. The websites have been very helpful. It's easy to spend hours looking at the Trip Advisor forum for the Channel Islands. I feel better informed now and have decided to go by ferry from St. Malo to Jersey. I do not plan to rent a car because bus transportation sounds very good, and besides, I'm a walker. Has anyone stayed at the Millbrook House Hotel on Jersey? Can anyone suggest a modestly priced guest house or B&B in St. Peter Port on Guernsey? I'd like to spend a couple days on Guernsey before taking the ferry to Portsmouth. Any recommendations for a place to stay in Portsmouth? I plan to visit HMS Victory. What else should I see/do in Portsmouth?

Posted by
1326 posts

Hi Karen, I've never been to the Channel Islands but they are on my list now since I've read the book "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society" by Shaffer and Barrows. If you haven't read it, I highly recommend it!

Posted by
3 posts

Yes, that title is next on my list of books to read. Another novel set in Guernsey is A Place of Hiding by Elizabeth George, which I haven't read yet. I also want to watch 2 WWII movies about the German occupation of Guernsey, "Island at War" and "Enemy at the Door."