Please sign in to post.

ROME in February

Anyone know what the weather is like in Rome in Feb/Mar? Do we need winter jackets?

Posted by
884 posts

According to weather.com, highs for that time of year are in the upper fifties and lows are in the upper thirties. I would think you would need a coat, but not a heavy one. Interestingly, it snowed an inch and a half in Rome just this past week, which is 20% of the total snow fall they have seen in the past 100 years, so the weather there is pretty mild in general. Check weather.com before you go (but take it with a grain of salt) and Google search historical weather for Rome and you should have the info you need to make a good decision with wardrobe.

Posted by
11 posts

Thank you so much Maryam. I may go shopping for a lightweight Northface fleece jacket. I really don't want to drag around my heavy winter coat from home! I have a sister who lives in Paris and she is complaining it's freeezing!!

Posted by
187 posts

Hi Mary,

We're almost neighbors (I'm near Minneapolis). I figure, it will be balmy compared to our winters! We're going in mid March.

The best advice I've heard? Layers. I'm bringing a rain jacket, long sleeve shirts and cardigans. Oh, and pants!

Posted by
10 posts

Hi Mary, we spent a week in Rome in February, 2007. I strongly recommend a rain jacket! :) I took a coat that consisted of a waterproof shell and a zip-out fleece liner, but found that on most days, it was too warm with the liner (I wore mostly t-shirts or lightweight cotton sweaters). Sure was glad for the shell, however.

Have a great time!

Posted by
65 posts

Mary,
We are neighbors. We just got back from Rome February 1st. Exactly like all of the rest have said. Layers, Layers, Layers. I took a lightweight rain coat, a fleece quarter zip, and a fleece vest, long sleeve tee shirts, Thermals, and tee shirts. The Coldest two days were leaving Chicago and Coming back to Chicago. I found myself loving the weather and thinking it was great. The Romans and Italians thought it was cold. Do not take your winter Jacket it is too warm and bulky. My wife loved having a scarf to cover her neck and light gloves to keep the chill off. Have a Great Trip!!

Posted by
9146 posts

I was in Rome in Feb. a few years ago. It was cool, but not freezing. Wore a long, wool coat and a scarf. There were times during the day when I unbuttoned my coat. It looked stylish, kept me warm enough but not too warm. I prefer to have a coat I can take off it gets too warm instead of layers, especially if you are planning on going into museums, the vatican, etc. Layers would make me way too hot. Would rather carry my coat or jacket over my arm.

I would imagine that it would be warming up fairly nicely in March though.