Please sign in to post.

Driving Tuscany

Traveling to Italy in March; Venice first then take a train to Florence,sight see around Florence for a couple days, then we were thinking of renting a car to sight see around Tuscany area (day trips), then drive to Rome.

Good idea or bad idea ? We want to experience the country side. Any advice ?

Posted by
536 posts

James - It's a fantastic Idea - I do it almost every year. Roads are great, Tucsan coiuntryside is Spectacular. You can get updated European maps for your GPS and that will make things a lot easier. Also, be sure to get an IDP (International Driving Permit) from a AAA office. That and your present license is all you'll need.

Have a GREAT time, Greg

Posted by
149 posts

Hi James, I agree with Greg; go for it. Contrary to what some people think, the Italians (and Europeans in general) are good drivers. Watch your speed in the towns, and don't get in too big of a hurry. If you drive in the big US cities, you shouldn't have much trouble in Rome. Have fun exploring Tuscany.

Posted by
1633 posts

We really enjoyed driving in Italy. We did have a GPS which proved invaluable for Tuscany. If you are flying out of Rome, I would suggest dropping the car off in Orvieto and taking the 1 hr. train ride into Rome. We flew out of Germany, so when we went to Rome for three nights, we left the car in a free, secure parking lot at the train station in Orvieto. Worked out great. Have fun!

Posted by
354 posts

If you find that your Tuscany day trips are mostly to the south of Florence, another option is to pick-up your rental car from one of the agencies located along Via Borgo Ognissanti (the southern edge of the city). Also, check your itinerary, because a Sunday pick-up or drop-off will have limited options.