Please sign in to post.

Travel Vest

I came across a travel vest with multiple pockets. I am not sure how practical it would be. Once you put things in the pockets does the vest look lumpy? Is it comfortable? If anyone has experience with a travel vest I would love to hear how you like it. Thanks!

Posted by
32201 posts

Andrea,

Which Travel Vest were you considering? Some of the models I've seen have been a bit more "stylish" than others.

I routinely use a Travel Vest and have found it to be extremely useful although it's definitely "lumpy" when I get it fully loaded with Camera gear. It makes me look considerably heavier, but I'm more concerned with function than looks.

The Vest I'm using is made by Tilley. It's not specifically made for Camera use, but it seems to work well anyway.

Cheers!

Posted by
10218 posts

The vest I came across was the Magellan Travel Vest. It is not as "safari" looking as some other vests and is much less expensive than the Scottevest. It's lightweight, which I would want. When we are in Italy in September I am anticipating it will be warm.

Posted by
588 posts

I have the Magellan one in black. I wear it on the plane. It does get lumpy if there are too many things in the pockets. It is lightweight and maybe that adds to the lumpiness.

Posted by
1819 posts

There's a black / tan reversible one in the Orvis catalog in a pleasantly textured poplin material. It has four button pockets on each side and has a Safari look. I bought it and it will get "tested' this summer. The catalog also has a similar jacket style.

Posted by
32201 posts

Andrea,

You might have a look at the Tilley Vests as they tend to be a bit more "fashionable" than others. The Maverick and Outback Vests are a bit lighter, so will be more comfortable in warmer weather.

One thing to keep in mind is that any Vest has the potential to look "lumpy". How it's "loaded" will have a bearing on that.

Cheers!

Posted by
10218 posts

Ken,
Those Tilley vests look very nice. Unfortunately they are a lot more expensive than the other one I was looking at.

Do you that wear vests only wear them on travel days or do you wear them daily as you go about your sightseeing?

Posted by
32201 posts

Andrea (Sacramento),

I tend to wear the Vest most of the time when I'm out touring, as it's usually loaded up with Camera gear, etc. It does look "lumpy", but I'm more concerned with function over style, so don't really care.

Andrea (Peterborough),

"I was never able to get past the fact it was mainly senior men who wore them"

Hey, I resemble that remark! I'm somewhat senior, although don't yet qualify for most of the "senior discounts" in Europe.

Cheers!

Posted by
41 posts

Another vote for Scottevest! I have their woman's styled jacket and love it. Even with the inside pockets full, it looks smooth from the outside.

Posted by
1546 posts

When I was in Eastern Europe (especially Poland), I saw plenty of local men wearing similar vests and I thought they'd be very practical. However, I was never able to get past the fact it was mainly senior men who wore them. I stick to a messenger bag.

Posted by
43 posts

Yet another vote for ScottEVest. Used mine (Evolution jacket) on a domestic flight after Christmas. Was able to carry the following items:

iPod touch,
iPod nano (the square one),
a pocket digital audio recorder,
Flip HD video recorder,
pocket 12mp digital camera,
cell phone,
full size over ear noise cancelling headphones,
pocket LED flashlight (about 1" diameter 3" long),
a couple usb thumb drives,
usb hard drive,
sun glasses,
eye glass hard case,
keys attached to the coiled pocket lanyard,
1 liter bottle of water (filled after TSA check)

Also has an internal pocket that will nicely fit your travel documents (passport, boarding pass, tickets) without folding them.

No problems with TSA. Though on return flight they did ask to run it through x-ray again, but that may have been because it was in a tub with digital SLR bag which also went through again.

More than I would normally take, but it was test before our trip to Europe. In addition to being able to carry stuff in it instead of in luggage, all of the pockets are zippered, and many are internal, which helps protect against pick pockets.

Just standing there you couldn't see that I had any of that at all. Could maybe see I had something in the hand pocket. The only item of those that were in any manner awkward while getting seated was the headphones in the hand pocket, unzip jacket and lift that pocket out of the way of the seatbelt and was fine.

Jacket is lightweight, it isn't a replacement for a winter jacket, personally I would say only ok down to around 45F without wearing a sweater or something warm under. Sleeves also zip off for warmer weather, prossibly up to 70F before getting too warm.

Take a look at some of the youtube videos to see extremes of packing the jackets.

Posted by
33 posts

Count me as a Scottevest fan as well. Didn't really want to carry a purse or daypack so thought I'd give it a try. I wore it on the plane and every day when I went to London, Paris, and Germany last spring. Carried camera, mp3 player, map, wallet, handheld gps (I'm a geocacher,) and other miscellaneous things that don't readily come to mind. For me, one of the best things was the security. On the underground and metro, I just zipped up the vest and the important things were all in inside pockets which were inaccessible by pickpockets. Yep, I looked a bit more bulky than usual but the peace of mind was worth it. I bought it a little big so that when I had things in the pockets it would still be comfortable.

Posted by
41 posts

Michael,

Thanks for posting that you used your ScotteVest jacket after Christmas without any problems. I am using mine again in April and my list of supplies looks much like your list.

I agree, buy your jacket or vest one size larger and you will not see any bulges or bulky items from the outside.

Posted by
588 posts

Thanks for posting about the Scotevest. I don't care for the little stand up collar so I like the lightweight original Magellan's. However their packable rain jacket for $75 looks great. Has anyone tried it?

Posted by
1 posts

The best ion of vests is at Magellan's. I have used my Magellan's vest for about 5 years. Been all over the world. Still looks brand new. It has just the right amount of pockets in all the right places. Looks good and its so darn light. My wife just bought a new one. It's the Ultimate Travel Vest. Looks smart and she loves it. They also have a lot of security things and bed bug killers. Great catalog, good sound advice from their call center. We're off to Turkey and feel well prepared.

Posted by
11315 posts

For the most comprehensive use of a travel vest, see the blog "No Baggage Challenge" http://www.rtwblog.com/. Rolf Potts used a Scottevest to travel around the world in 6 weeks with no baggage. Everything went in his Scottevest. I wish I were so daring. Alas, two pair of shoes are essential in my mind. Quite the endorsement for the Scottevest, though.

Posted by
1446 posts

I had just ordered the Magellan travel vest this morning, so am hopeful people won't be saying they hate it. When we used to travel in the winter, my coat had many pockets and was quite useful for carrying all my stuff. Though the travel vest might look lumpy, that's what I'm planning to do - wear it on a daily basis.

Posted by
4407 posts

I think we talked about this at our last Sacramento Area meeting, but I have a 'travel jacket' with zip-off sleeves and 14 (?) pockets in the vest...I find it heavy and exhausting to wear when carrying the most basic things - camera, lip balm, pack of tissues, etc. Don't really understand why. The jacket itself is very lightweight, and I can carry alot of weight in a backpack if necessary, but I suppose I'm used to carrying weight on my 'purse shoulder' and so I revert back to my trusty daybag... If you've ever worn heavy top - sweater, or very heavy denim shirt and you feel like you're wearing 2 sandbags over each shoulder? The 'sandbags feeling' might not even feel that heavy, but it's tiring? (and maybe a bit heavy on the 'girls'?!?) That's how mine makes me feel. I'm going to keep trying it, though, but carry my 'Civita' bag in a pocket as a back-up. Plus, it has to be pretty chilly out for me to have any kind of jacket/vest on, so I haven't had tons of experience with it. Just my .02...You may love it, but load it up and spend some time out and about with it first. I always think MINE is really comfy - for a very brief time :-(

Posted by
32201 posts

Eileen, To experience a really heavy Travel Vest, try loading one with several large Camera Lenses, a water bottles and other assorted gear. I'm sure my Vest will eventually wear out under the strain, but when that happens I'll buy another one. It's still easier than carrying a Daypack. Cheers!

Posted by
4407 posts

But Ken, isn't that awfully heavy on 'the girls'?!? (if it's heavy on 'the boys' then you really need to leave some lenses at home)

Posted by
10218 posts

Eileen, we did talk about this at our last meeting. I actually asked this question a year ago (check the date), and never did buy one. Thinking about it again though for my next trip. Maybe I can borrow yours and wear it around a few days and see how it goes... :-)

Posted by
32201 posts

Eileen, Wearing the Vest, most of the weight rests on my shoulders. Since I'm a bit "large", I don't usually have a problem with the weight. Leaving the Lenses at home is not an option, since photography is a big part of my travels!

Posted by
138 posts

Andea-in-Sacramento --
I bought the Magellan's travel vest and if you haven't seen it in person, I can tell you it is super lightweight and thin and the pockets lie flat compared to the other models they carry. (Their retail store is nearby.) A coworker wore the same vest on a cruise last summer and loved it -- never took her purse with her on shore excursions. I haven't traveled with mine yet but I think it will be great; then again, I won't be putting bulky items in it -- just a small camera, glasses, phone, wallet, and keys. Oh - and maybe some chocolate...

Posted by
4407 posts

Don't let that chocolate melt ;-) I hate seeing chocolate-smeared, grown women cry.

Posted by
500 posts

Another ScottEVest fan here. I've had many over the past 7 years, not that they wear out fast but for style and color variations. One of the best things about it besides the zip off sleeves which makes it good for a variety of weather conditions are the inside pockets which makes it pick-pocket proof. I couldn't imagine traveling without one.

Posted by
10218 posts

Maybe they should make vests in brown to hide the chocolate stains! :-)

Posted by
73 posts

In 2005 I was in Germany and saw many people wearing them--usually 50+ males as another poster said. Then I passed a rack of them for 10Euros each--bought one and it was best souvenir of the trip.

Posted by
78 posts

I wouldn't mind trying one but they all seem to be too heavy for a summer trip. I haven't found any that are super lightweight. I'm sure that would limit the storage quite a bit.

Posted by
1446 posts

I just today received my first ever travel vest - a lightweight Magellan. I'm planning to carry my passport, money, lipstick, tickets, glasses. I'm not thinking I will carry anything else with me during the day. Does this make sense - OK to carry the passport in the travel vest and not in a neck or waist pouch? Thanks.

Posted by
4407 posts

Actually, I've decided that I'm just going to have a porter follow me around...His name will be "Robert" (French, as in 'RRRRow-Bear'), he will carry my stuff, and when I desire un café, une bière, or mon lip balm, voilà! He just might be hot, too, but not like a travel vest...;-)

Posted by
10218 posts

I'm traveling with you Eileen... ;-)

Posted by
32201 posts

Kelly, I'm one who routinely wears a Travel Vest, and have a few comments on the points you mentioned. BTW, you didn't "hurt my feelings". I don't believe these are the same as a Waist Pack but fancier, and I also don't believe they make travellers "stand out" more. I've seen numerous Europeans wearing various styles of Vests (especially in Italy). Whether they're "attractive" is a matter of personal opinion. I find them attractive, and since I'm the one wearing it that's all that matters. I really don't care whether anyone else finds them attractive or whether I "stand out" from the crowd. My reason for wearing the Vest is mostly pragmatic. I find it more convenient to use the Vest as a "wearable Daypack" than to use a Shoulder Bag or a "cute little Backpack". For photographic purposes, it's much easier to access Lenses, Filters, Lens Cleaners or other items in Vest pockets than it would be if using a "cute little Backpack" that has to be removed each time I need something. Each accessory is designated to a different pocket and therefore I can access them quickly as I know exactly where they are ( Ed, that's one reason to have more pockets). I also have the ability to pack a small water bottle, Map and if necessary a Guidebook. Although the Vest increases my girth (and weight) somewhat when fully loaded, again I don't care in the least whether anyone else finds it attractive. It works for me and it's my trip, so the opinions of others aren't relevant. Others are welcome to use whichever method works best for them. The Travel Vest is one of my most valuable travel accessories, and it will definitely be on the packing list for my next trip. When it wears out, I'll buy another one. Cheers!

Posted by
951 posts

um gee...how do I say this without sounding like a jerk....I really don't want to come off rude but......if we are supposed to blend in as much as possible, why are we discussing the use of a travel vest. Isn't like wearing a fanny pack but fancier? Please, don't hate me. I really don't want to like one of those posters who intentionally stir the pot but I just could not hold it back. I started to post this 2-3 days ago but just thought I needed to let it go....but the post keeps on posting and I really just can't let this slip by without saying these travel vests stick out and are not really all that attractive. I am sorry, I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings. I really try to be helpful instead of toxic when I post. What is wrong with a lite shoulder bag (messenger bag) or a cute little backpack. I just do not get the attraction......

Posted by
9110 posts

If one uses a travel vest, one should have an elephant gun to complete the costume. The average person has four pockets in their britches and two in their shirt. The average person who posts here is a train freak and has no car keys. The average person who posts here is a money belt freak and carries valuables there. With six empty pockets at the gitgo, why in the blue blazes does one need more?

Posted by
500 posts

In general Americans don't blend, they can tell travel vest or not. Perhaps my DSLR will give me away but who cares, I'm not there to fool anyone, I'm going to Europe to enjoy myself and don't care what others think. I would rather have my wallet and passport safe in my hidden ScottEVest inside pocket then in some bag or backpack some pickpocket could easily grab or open up in a crowd.

Posted by
3580 posts

For 5-6 years I've been traveling with a travel vest purchased at TravelSmith. I use it as a purse, with wallet, passport, change purse, misc tickets, and that sort of thing. I still use a moneybelt for larger sums of money. If I had a really small camera, I would carry that in the vest. The only down-side is that the vest can feel too warm in warm weather. I usually travel in shoulder season, so mostly avoid hot days. I wear it while traveling and during the trip. It is important for me to be consistent in where I keep my stuff. Otherwise, I tend to misplace/lose things. My vest has a large, zippered pocket in the lower back. I suppose I could carry dead game there in case I shoot or run over some small animal. Maybe that pocket is for papers; I don't know. The vest could be improved by a little stretchiness. Sometimes it feels too confining.

Posted by
4407 posts

Robert (being French) will blend in rather nicely, I think. My plan is working purr-fectly... Just sayin'. Perhaps I need to upgrade to cargo pants; my jacket, water bottle, guidebook/maps/tissues - NON-NEGOTIABLE, perhaps umbrella don't fit in ANY of my current pants pockets. "Je t'aime, Robert, je t'aime...Now go get me un café, mon petit chou-chou <kiss-kiss>"

Posted by
32740 posts

"Je t'aime, Robert, je t'aime...Now go get me un café" Ah yes, the best kind of vest for sure....

Posted by
4407 posts

I guess I really should stop sniffing glue...but it's just so darned pleasant here...with RRRRRow-Bear, mon petit cochon...

Posted by
875 posts

We bought ScottEVests this year and have used them on a domestic flight as a "trial run" for our upcoming trip to Europe this spring. We both liked the way they looked and managed to equalize the weight which made for comfortable wear. We didn't think the vests looked lumpy, but depending on what you stuff in them, I suppose they could be made to appear that way. Mine will suffice instead of a purse this year while flying. My small purse will be packed for use upon arrival.

Posted by
2193 posts

I'm not sure I've ever seen anyone wearing a travel vest when on vacation here...maybe in Yellowstone or RMNP but never in a place like LA. If you wear them in Europe, do you also wear them here? Just curious. I'm with Ed.

Posted by
500 posts

I wear a ScottEVest about 80% of the year, I have several models from tropical weight to winter outerwear. It's a wearable purse, I don't like purses. Most of the time I wear it as a jacket with sleeves so most people would think I'm just wearing a jacket not a travel vest, though with upwards of 20 pockets it is a travel vest/jacket. I don't care where, NYC, LA, SF, Las Vegas, London, Paris anywhere I go. I find it most useful and most importantly secure.

Posted by
32201 posts

Michael, I wear the Vest regardless of whether I'm travelling in Europe or anywhere else. Especially if my activities will include photography, it's the most practical way for carrying my Camera gear.

Posted by
331 posts

I don't understand the complaint that rucksacks are not as easily accessible as travel vests. I can easily get everything I need of mine, as long as my husband bends his knees.

Posted by
4407 posts

"I don't understand the complaint that rucksacks are not as easily accessible as travel vests. I can easily get everything I need of my mine, as long as my husband bends his knees." ROFL!!! His name isn't 'Robert', by any chance...... ;-)

Posted by
4407 posts

Ooh! Mais out, c'est bien! "Robert, would you hand me my lip------" "My name's NOT 'Row-Bear'!!! WHY are you calling me 'Row-Bear'?!?

Posted by
68 posts

Hi Ken,
You seem to be an avid travel photographer so I will ask this question of you..My husband (also a Ken from canada) loves his camera equipment and has recently invested over $4000 in camera and lenses. I have read that it may not be the best idea to take expensive, name brand equipment with you as it could be easily stolen. He is thinking of purchasing a $300 - $500 alternative to take on our trip to Europe. Sounds like you are ok traveling with lenses and additional "parts" Your thoughts...

Posted by
10218 posts

@ Nancy - I asked this question over two years ago. My suggestion is that if you have a new question, you might want to start a new thread. And if you have a question you would like to direct to an individual, you should send them a private message. Ken may never see your question here.

Posted by
11507 posts

Well , I guess if we are voting by looks,, nope,, they are not cool looking at all,, I personally would never ever wear one. Luckily we are all different and I am pretty sure I wear stuff someone else would never wear either.
If we vote by whats practical,, I think they are practical for men who are too embarrassed to wear a man bag. The pockets are secure, better then their pants pockets in normal slacks. I like carrying my purse, have for last 40 years and see no reason to stop now. Now , if we disregard the look, the biggest disadvantage to wearing one would be the HEAT. I have only been to Italy twice, and its so hot there in summer( and I imagine that would be anywhere from June through September. I literally have melted in Rome both times, once in July, once in late August. I mean I would buy frozen bottles of water to carry up against my neck just to get through a few hours of sightseeing. I do not do heat well,, anything over 75-80 is just to hot to me. I think those may be normal temps for that time period? If you travel October thru May then seems the heat wouldn't be a huge issue.

Posted by
10218 posts

Again, this question is over two years old. I have been to Europe twice since I asked about the vest. FYI, I did not buy one.

Posted by
3580 posts

So, were travel vests the topic of conversation at yesterday's Sacto get-together? I bought a travel vest several years ago and wear it whenever I go to Europe. My travel is usually in the cool months of April-May or Sept-Oct. The vest can be too warm during warmer weather. For my travels, it adds a layer of warmth so maybe I don't need a sweater. I like all the pockets and use several at a time, so I don't think I look too lumpy. But I'm not real fussy about how I look, anyway. There is a large pocket in back for dead squirrels or maybe papers. The front pockets can accommodate a passport, wallet, transit pass, etc. The advantage (for me) is that I can go hands-free without a purse, and I can find my stuff easily. I wear the vest instead of a moneybelt at times, especially if my room has a safe. The vest looks rather "sporty," as tho it belongs on a safari. I'm sure some women would prefer another look.

Posted by
1446 posts

This is an older post, but just to make a comment again - my lightweight Magellan vest did not work. When I loaded in what I wanted to carry: glasses, lipstick, passport, some other important papers, it was TOTALLY lumpy and looked terrible. I have carried all these things before in a rain jacket, but the weather was too warm to wear that this time. So, the vest turned out to not be a good option for me.

Posted by
32201 posts

Andrea, Just to note, I did spot the question regarding the Vest, and have replied via PM. In case anyone is still wondering about Vests, I've just replaced my venerable Tilley Vest with a more robust model and will most definitely be taking it on my trip this year. It's one of my favourite and most useful travel accessories, especially for photo gear! As Sharon mentioned, these often look "lumpy" when fully loaded and that's certainly the case with my Vest when it's fully packed. When the pockets are all full, the Vest does increase my girth considerably (especially with a water bottle and Guidebook, Umbrella or Rain Poncho in the large pocket). However, my main concern is pragmatism and what "works best for me", so I really don't care what anyone thinks of the appearance. I find that the Vest works much better than a Daypack, as everything is more easily and quickly accessible. On the issue of it being uncomfortable in hot weather, I don't find that to be a problem. The material is very light and if it's left open at the front there's adequate ventilation. Cheers!

Posted by
70 posts

(I know this is an old thread) Just an FYI. The Scottevest Classic is on sale for Father's Day for $75 (usually $100). I know the pros and consjust an FYI. With ground shipping it came to $80. I had the Magellan Travel Vest on backorder. While that was only $55 (vs the $100 originally) but with tax, shipping and handling it came to $68.

Posted by
4407 posts

Dang it, John - now Andrea knows what I'm getting her for Father's Day ;-)

Posted by
10218 posts

Okay, first of all this post is 3 1/2 years old. How hard does someone have to dig to find these zombie posts? Please people, if you have a new question or some sort of comment start your own thread! Don't resuscitate a zombie thread. Let sleeping threads rest in peace, please!! And Eileen, pray tell why would you get me something for Father's Day? Is it because I was at Lake Tahoe on Mother's Day so you failed to give me my gift? I will assume that is it, and not that you are trying to tell me something. Jim is happily accepting Father's Day gifts. You know where to send them. If you happen to have any vino from our fav Agriturismo, we will happily drink it. If you don't have any, it's time for a road trip. Limoncello is also acceptable. :-P

Posted by
4407 posts

Andrea, they like you! They really like you! You're lookin' good for a two-time zombie. Or more than two... Yes, and...Road Trip!!! Suhrrusly...;-)

Posted by
348 posts

Andrea, I think we seriously need to invite Ed to our Sacramento travel meetings...
... a little comic relief from Eileen's sobering dialogue.

Posted by
1806 posts

As punishment, this post will be resurrected at least once a year for the next 15 years until you have served your time for even considering buying one of those ugly travel vests. I do love that the men on this board are constantly pissing and moaning about any posts questioning how to dress to blend in more with the locals, ladies shoe recommendations, and if jeans or shorts are ok to wear...but ask a question about a travel vest and they will instantly wax as poetic as a J. Peterman catalog on how stylish, functional and affordable this hideous garment is.

Posted by
10218 posts

I BRIEFLY considered a travel vest, and quickly decided it was not for me. When I posted this question years ago I wanted to know how people liked it. Now, not so much! And yeah, what's up with men commenting on women's clothing choices? Any man who says a travel vest is a good fashion choice instantly loses any fashion credibility.

Posted by
517 posts

Actually, from my observations, travel vests are quite fashionable among German and Austrian men "of a certain age". It might be a blend-in strategy after all.

Posted by
70 posts

You folks are brutal. :) The travel vest appeals to the "Gear gene" in many men. Having achieved a "certain age" I am resigned to it. You know you don't have to actually respond to a zombie thread...

Posted by
10218 posts

Just as zombie threads should not be brought back to life. See what happens...

Posted by
4407 posts

(stomping my foot on the floor) Oh.My.Gosh, Michael. THAT...THAT is where I want to work!!! THAT would be even more fun than ETBD. Is that sacrilege? ;-) Gots to have some of those! "I'll give it to you 'sweet'" LOL!!

Posted by
922 posts

LOL! One of the tips given during public speaking training, to help overcome stage fright, is: "Visualize all the people in your audience as sitting there in front of you in their underwear." Apparently Scott took that tip truly to heart. :)

Posted by
348 posts

Andrea,
No matter what anyone says, the Jane Goodall look is de rigueur, with or without the elephant gun.

Posted by
1 posts

Just finished a month traveling in Spain using Rick's Convertible Carry-On plus a navy blue ScotteVest. This was a great combination. The two units really complement each other. I felt secure, organized, mobile, and had no trouble with pickpockets (I wish I could say the same for some other travelers I met along the way). The vest appeared understated and I did not feel that it drew attention to me. Ran into some unexpected cold weather in Madrid, and the vest provided a much-needed extra layer of warmth. No more day-packs for me.

Posted by
70 posts

Ahhh mine just came in the mail (or is it male). I love it--I'll be stylin'. I tried it on though my wife made no comments pro or con. Kinda like the beard years ago. Hmmmmmmm. Maybe the travel vest is the male equivalent to the "skort".