Please sign in to post.

Shopping in Florence

Ladies, can you tell me what is the average price of a leather handbag at any outdoor market in Florence?

Posted by
23 posts

I bought a beautiful hand made bag in the San Lorenzo market for about $130.00. After examining a lot of the merchandise I felt that this one was crafted with care and was a good buy. It is a dark orange leather "doctor bag" style. Three years later I am still carrying it and get many comments on it. Most of the bags in the other markets were poorly crafted or horribly overpriced. Examine the merchandise in several shops before buying, don't let them pressure you! Another tip, they will usually reduce the price a bit if you pay cash. Using a credit card costs them money so they like cash.

Posted by
284 posts

Karen,

Buying leather in Florence is like buying a carpet in Istanbul. You need to know what to look for since a lot of cheap(er) leather is sold at inflated prices.

Try Massimo Leather which is just off an outdoor market nearby the Medici Chapel.

Be careful of pickpockets in the outdoor markets.

Edwin

Posted by
100 posts

Hi Karen,
Depending on the season, you can certainly haggle the price. I was there during the off season and was told by a vendor that during the off season, haggling will get you nowhere but if in high season you can get a great deal. Good luck

Amanda

Posted by
316 posts

I spent about $100 for one in 2006. Carried it today in the rain - doesn't spot and still looks brand new. I like the San Lorenzo market but have found most prices are the same. The "haggling" price is usually the same for similar items. You'll find that a bag is 100E and you bargain down to 80E. If you find a similar bag at another booth you'll usually find the rock bottom price will be about the same. To specifically answer your question, most nice bags are in the $80-$100 range but prices depend on styles. Be sure to look at the Leather School. I might be able to afford a key ring there but the leather work is beautiful.

Posted by
3551 posts

Be aware there are alot of fakes/knock offs out there espec in oputdoor or street vendor markets.

Posted by
430 posts

Agreed on other comments. Know what 'good' looks like before you go. Go to a high-end shop in the US, spend an hour or two shopping, and let the person who works there educate you on what is good and what to look for. In their zeal to sell you on how great their stuff is they will teach you what to look for.

I'll second 'Massimo' -- we bought those stylish little mini-backpack purses for nieces and family friends several years ago, as well as a briefcase for me. The mini-packs were $45 -- we bought 9 -- and the briefcase was $115 -- but I also bought 15 or so belts at $5-8 each. I'm wearing one of the belts now -- and I think this one is 10 years old. (Keep in mind those prices were at roughly 1-to-1 exchange rates! Increase by 40% for today's rates.)

I can't recall the shoppe where I bought my leather jackets -- but I've bought 3 over there an am giddy about them all. My fave is a black sheep leather dress-blazer -- wore it to church yesterday -- equivalent of 100Euros 7 or 10 years ago (can't recall which trip I bought it on!)