Please sign in to post.

Oktoberfest 2010

We've been trying to plan a trip to Germany with a 2-night stop in Munich for Oktoberfest this September...we're having trouble understanding whether or not we actually need a beer tent reservation in order to make the experience truly memorable.

It seems a lot of the tents have not yet started taking reservations yet...we want to make sure we can get them if we need to. There are four of us traveling together - seems some reservations are for parties of 10.

Anyone have any insight as to how to have the best experience at Oktoberfest? We would love to experience a couple different tents if we can.

Thanks!!

Posted by
193 posts

I'm with Amy and Brad. I already have rooms reserved this fall for trip number five.
We go on weekdays and most tents have plenty of room. I make sure to keep nibbling on food through the day.
I'd avoid the reservations unless you plan on being there late in the evening or the weekend.
Have fun.
Prost!

Posted by
6664 posts

Call me an O'fest scrooge, but after a couple of O'fests, I still haven't quite grasped the influx of visitors to O'fest, the appeal of mass public inebriation, the point of crowding into a tent and drinking mass quantities of beer at picnic tables so tightly arranged that you're almost sharing a pair of underwear with the person behind you, or the allure of exorbitant hotel pricing. There are so many other more civilized places to enjoy great German music, food and beer, on any day of the year.

That said, you may get some more helpful and authoritative answers to your question here; look for posts by "Sunskin":

Tripadvisor Munich Forum

Posted by
525 posts

Call me an O'fest Cheerleader! My husband and I have gone twice and will return again given the opportunity. It is by far the easiest and most enjoyable way to meet people from all over the world. We chatted up folks from France, Italy, Australia, Norway and without a doubt Germany. Even for people who are not outgoing - this is the way to do it.

Now onto reservations. Almost all the tents require 10 people for reservations. I think Kafer is the only one that doesn't and that one is not a true 'beer tent' - they sell wine.

Here is what you need to do. Get there first thing (11am or noon) on the day you are going (hopefully it is not a weekend) and seek out the non-reservation tables. Any table that has a sheet of paper on the end is reserved...so look for the tables with no sheet. And sometimes there are plaques to guide you too. Strongly recommend the Lowenbrau tent or Hackershorr tent. They were the best!

Plop down and enjoy the day. Watch those beers - they go down easy. Pace yourself. The smaller tents can be just as much fun. If you have the opportunity - spend one day at the large tent and go back the next night for the small tents.

OH OH OH and dress up!!! You will be glad you did. Half the people there do and the other half wish they would have. Ebay! Dirndle and Lederhosen.

Posted by
8961 posts

I am gonna hang out with Russ, I have zero desire to go to Oktoberfest.

There are sooooo many fests to go to in Germany, at which you can meet Germans, chat with them, have a great time, and pay half the cost of what you pay at the O'fest.

Posted by
7580 posts

While I agree that there are many fests in Germany, If you are a beer lover, Munich and Octoberfest are a must. A room may be harder to come by than getting a beer in a tent.

As was noted, if you can avoid the weekends, you will have a better chance, showing up earlier, 11 or noonish is also good.

As for the tents themselves:

While you need to be seated to get a beer, you are still free to go in tents, look, take pictures, and take in the spectacle of the fest.

Reserved tables are off limits...but...when we were there on a Monday, many tables were reserved from 5 PM on...you can sit at a table for lunch that is only reserved for the evening (many overlook this fact) If in doubt, each row has a beermaid, just point to the table and act thirsty, if she nods her head, have a seat.

We found it very easy the Monday after opening weekend to find a seat, and while having a table on an evening of opening weekend probably would have been wilder, the experience was still pretty darn good.

Posted by
12172 posts

As far as I know reservations are only given, or needed, for large groups.

My technique, for what it's worth, is to hit the tents before sunset (around an early dinner time). It seems I catch the lull between the early and late "shifts" and get in with little waiting.

You may have to stand in line to get a seat and you can't order a beer until you are seated (my experience, anyone have something different?). During the lull, the lines and wait are short - especially at the less touristed tents.

Hofbrau is the most touristy. I like the Lowenbrau tent but many say that is also one of the more touristy ones (nothing compared to Hofbrau IMO).

I always eat a big meal mid afternoon before going to the tents. You will need something in your stomach or prepare to suffer for it.

The whole place shuts down by 10:30 pm. With luck, you will have met some new friends that can suggest post fest entertainment. Once I went with a group of locals to a nightclub for dancing until way too late. Another time I met a group from New Zealund and hung out with them into the wee hours.

Posted by
107 posts

This year will be my 5th in a row.

Reservations are for large groups and are almost impossible to book on this side of the Atlantic

I have never had too much of a problem getting seats in the tents, you may have to try several, if it is really busy you can sit outside if the weather is nice. Try going around 4pm as most reservations expiry after that.

Try to avoid the weekends as well.

As far as how to experiance Oktoberfest, be open to making a ton of new friends and things will go well.

Posted by
2 posts

Thanks everyone -- you've ALL been most helpful! Now that we have the reservation question answered - Anyone have any good recommendations on accommodations in Munich close to the fair grounds or at least has easy access to the bus/train to get to the fair grounds? We plan to book this weekend - hopefully we'll still have a chance at getting something reasonably priced.

We're also planning stops in Bamburg, Cologne, Stuttgart (Volksfest), Kloster Kreuzberg, Prague and Bruges - We're trying to do a DIY beer tour. If anyone else has any other suggestions on places to stop for a 'true German/Belgium/Czech Beer Experience' we'd love to hear from you!!

Birthday boys are turning 40 this year and wanted to celebrate 20+ years of drinking beer together with a pilgrimage to Oktoberfest! THANKS FOR THE HELP!!

Posted by
107 posts

You are in for a real beer trip treat.

You are hitting my 3 favorite beer countries.

Belgium has a huge selection so be open to trying lots of different beers. Even the lambics are good!

Volksfest is also a lot of fun.

In Prague, try to find a locals hang out, much cheaper than the touristy places.

As far as accommodations, just be prepared for the cost, there is nothing cheap in Munich at that time of year. We are actually staying outside of Munich this year, it is about a 40 minute train ride, it should be interesting as we are normally stumbling distance away. You could try Motel 1, nothing fancy but clean.

Have fun!

Posted by
525 posts

This last time we went we stayed at Hotel Munchner Kindl. I liked it's location. It was walkable from the train station, albeit a few blocks. And an even split from the old town and the Oktoberfest grounds. The owner was super nice. Cute little bar that the locals seem to like and the rooms were decent. We paid 160E a night, which is about normal for that festival-time, if not on the low end. When I booked this hotel it was probably at about this time last year - so you may be fine, but I would jump on it. Plus I REALLY liked that this place didn't demand full payment at time of reservation and you could cancel up to a week before the event. That was important to me. Other places ask for full payment, in euros and zero cancels. Too risky!

Highly recommend that you do not attempt to have a car in Munich. Parking is a near impossiblity. Plus I think I heard you have to have special stickers to be in Munich's center now maybe?

We have also stayed at Pension Seibel and I would stay there again for non-Oktoberfest times. The only reason I didn't this time was it was just a far walk to the grounds. Very close to the old town square though.

Oh and we have also been to Prague. Great cheap beer. We stayed at Hotel Midvidku which brews the original Budweiser (not Anhauser Busch!). Great bar, brewery, restaurant and hotel. You can take brewery tours that are advertised throughout Prague. Beware of those Thai massages though....only for the brave (and nible).

Posted by
193 posts

BTW
I tried to get a room with Municher Kindl again this year but they are booked with a company during the whole Oktoberfest. I reserved my room earlier in the week and the availability has gone way down and prices have gone way up in just the past couple of days.

Act now.

Prost!

Posted by
44 posts

I lived in Germany in the early 80's and went to Octoberfest 3 years in a row. (What a Blast I had!!) At that time it seemed that only tour groups had reservations in the beer tents. If you wanted a seat you would have to get there as soon as the grounds opened and stay all day. To be honest I never got a seat in any of the beer tents. What I can suggest is that you take your time and visit every tent and attraction. They have great places to eat where you can rest. Even though being in one of the tents is part of the attraction there is so much more to see, do & eat. Don't forget to get a Big Pretzel!! Have a great time!