Please sign in to post.

Where To Stay in Paris

Can someone please help a first-time Paris tourist? We are there for 2 nights before heading to Wales. I need info on a safe hotel, transportation from CDG to hotel and back, and maybe any good bus tour companies that anyone has used there. We are leaving March 3rd, 2010 and I have all our two weeks planned except Paris. Any areas better than others? We had planned quick trip using public transportation. We have 5 kids in college....so yes, please stay low budget! Please help!

Posted by
1078 posts

I generally use Best Western when in the EU, and 2 I have stayed at in Paris are BW Belloy St. Germain, 2 RueRacine or BW Grand Hotel de L'univers, both within walking distance to the RER station at San Michel. Rooms are small, no breakfast included, but very good locations, and I only sleep there. If I remember, free wireless in the lobbies. Check them at Best Western, Google street view, or www.my-paris-hotel.com. Lots of bistros and patissaries and there is a terrific crepe place down the street from L'univers where the owner puts on quite a show!

Posted by
32209 posts

Mary,

You might want to check the Paris or France Guidebooks for "safe Hotels". There are lots of choices in different price ranges and different parts of Paris. They will also have listings for tours, Museums, etc.

On my last trip to Paris I stayed in the This Hotel and would certainly recommend it. It's a three-star and not inexpensive but very comfortable and a great staff. It's in the Rue Cler area but not right on Rue Cler.

For transportation from CDG to Paris, there are several choices. If you have lots of luggage, a Shuttle might be a good idea. There are listings for Shuttle services in the Guidebook, or do a Google search of "Paris Airport Shuttles" and you'll get lots of choices.

From CDG to Paris, I normally use the RER "B" to Gare du Nord or one of the other stations such as Chatelet-Les Halles and then transfer to the Metro (I'm usually going to Rue Cler, so that's why I use those stations).

You could also take one of the Paris Airport Buses from CDG to the city and then use either the Metro or Taxi to your Hotel. Have a look at the This website for more details on transportation options.

For travel from Paris to CDG, you might ask your Hotel to pre-book a Shuttle for you. They normally stop at several Hotels to pick-up passengers, but will drop you at the appropriate departure terminal. You could of course also use the Metro and RER "B" (probably the most cost effective) but not always too pleasant if you have lots of luggage.

Good luck and happy travels!

Posted by
515 posts

Rue Cler I heard is one of the best places to stay!

Posted by
705 posts

I second the vote for Hotel Jeanne D'Arc in the Marais. We stayed there in October '09--its small but comfortable, good area, very good ratings on TripAdvisor. Breakfast was an additional charge. Its fairly convenient from Gare du Nord--metro (line 5?) to Bastille and then walk about 5-6 blocks.

Posted by
7209 posts

...only 2 nights in Paris. That's a shame because Paris is just jam-packed with things to see and do and experience.

My favorite low budget clean and nice hotel is the Royal Phare http://www.hotel-royalphare-paris.com/

It's located about 10-15 steps from Ecole Militaire metro entrance, 2 ATMS beside the front door as well as supermarket. Some rooms have a view to the top of the Eiffel Tower, all rooms have a mini-fridge. It's also around the corner from Rue Cler which is a VERY active street. I liked walking out the front door of the Royal Phare and around the corner to the Rue Cler because it seemed a little noisy right on Rue Cler.

Posted by
3580 posts

Grand Hotel Leveque has a user-friendly website and you can see availabilities and make your reservation there. For Hotel Jeanne d'Arc, I have found that direct contact works better. A phone call or personal visit works. You can quickly find out their availabilities. I have planned a couple of trips based on when I can get a room at H. Jeanne d'Arc. I like it that much. The area is perfect, with a square (St. Catherine) nearby, the busy rue de Rivoli two blocks away, and much of Paris within walking distance. Rates are lower than most.

In the rue Cler area, I have moved over to the Hotel de Turenne. There is a large public area, where breakfast is served, on the ground floor, an elevator, decent rooms that have been renovated recently, and very reasonable rates. I think a single (ensuite) is 66.50 EU this year.

Posted by
655 posts

Good suggestions above. Check these and many others on tripadvisor.com (also useful for Wales.)

Posted by
8700 posts

I'll add to Ken's comments about getting from CDG to Paris and back. If you're packing light and can easily schlep your own luggage, then your cheapest option is to take the RER B into the city and transfer to other RER lines and/or Metro lines to get to the station closest to your hotel. The fare is 8.50 euro and includes unlimited transfers until you exit the system.

The Paris l'Open Tour has four routes. There is also Les Cars Rouges. (I haven't taken either tour.)

For a cheap do-it-yourself bus tour, ride bus #69 for its entire route. You'll pass by many famous sights and all it will cost you is one metro/bus ticket.

Posted by
354 posts

hi Mary, I stayed at the Hotel Sevigne in the Marais district, it's very reasonably priced and comfortable beyond my expectations, and just steps away from the St Paul metro station. Safe and with lots of eating options around. Cheapest way from the airport, as someone said, is using the RER and then changing lines to get to your hotel (the hotel websites will show you where it's located and the nearest metro station), but it does mean carrying your luggage up and down the steps in the stations. Alternatively, you could choose a hotel near where the airport bus stops, eg. Arc d'Triomphe/ Charles de Gaulle Etoile is one of the stops and there are many small hotels within walking distance in that area.

Posted by
124 posts

For cheap transportation into Paris from CDG, you can take the Air France bus right from your terminal. This takes you to the Opera stop, from there you can take either the Metro or a taxi. You need to go to the taxi stand to get a taxi, you can't hail one from the street as in the big cities of North America.

You can go onto the CDG website to get information about transportation options into Paris and the current rates.

You could also look into getting an apartment, even for two nights, for about the same as a hotel room, with the added convenience of a washer/dryer, frig for storing drinks and snacks, and just more room to spread out in. The Marais is a great area, as is the Right Bank and Rue Cler, although once you get into the Metro system, you can get anywhere quickly and easily.

Posted by
115 posts

I will be going to Paris for the first time...and only for a few days this May myself, and I am looking (as jerry said) at Best Western hotels. When I went to Germany a few years ago my local travel agent said he did not do individual hotel bookings anymore for european hotels for many reasons..(just airlines) but recommended Best Western hotels. He said they are individual hotels, most locally owned that are under the best western umbrella and have to meet certain criteria. He said he had never met anyone that was unhappy with any of them, in any country. I went to the Elephant Hotel in Salzburg Austria and it was excellent - got quality and definitely our money's worth.
I am just learning about the areas of Paris like jerry said before I choose (and find openings). Hope it helps. Enjoy! I sure am.