Please sign in to post.

First time in Europe!

Hello,

My fiance and I are planning our honeymoon for June of this year. We plan to spend a couple days in Rome and Venice before we venture out on a Greek Isles cruise. I've never been to Europe and would like a few pointers.

1. What I should pack to wear
  2. What do you recommend for a walking shoe but is also trendy?
  3. Inexpensive places to stay in Rome and Venice
  4. What to carry my stuff in during the day during sightseeing?

Thanks in advance....I'm trying to gain information from this website and books but it's nice to have information first hand!

Posted by
34 posts

Greg- Thank you so much!!! The hotels you mentioned are not badly priced for Europe and as you say are in great location to many sights. I really appreciate your help. I'm trying to work full time, plan my wedding and honeymoon on top of everything else so it's hard to find time to read a full guide book! Thanks again!

Posted by
32213 posts

Laura,

As this is your first trip to Europe, my first suggestion would be to have a look at Europe Through The Back Door. That will answer a lot of your questions, including packing, Itinerary planning and especially rail skills.

For suggestions on "inexpensive places to stay" in Rome and Venice, check your local Bookstores or Libary to see if you can find a copy of the Italy 2010 Guidebook. You might want to buy a copy to pack along, or just copy the information if you can find one in a Library. The Guidebooks have lots of information on Hotels in various parts of both cities and in different price ranges, including Website listings. You should be able to find something that fits your budget and tastes.

Regarding walking shoes, I'd be more concerned with comfort than with "trendy". Rick suggests taking a well broken-in pair of walking shoes. Some of the group here prefer to travel with two (or more) pairs of shoes while others (including myself) prefer one pair only.

"What to carry my stuff in during the day" - there are lots of different opinions on that. Some prefer Daypacks, some like Messenger Bags or other small bags. Have a look at the Travel Store here or check www.magellans.com to get some ideas on bags that might work for you. I'd stay away from "Waist Packs", but that's a personal choice.

Happy travels!

Posted by
34 posts

Thanks Ken.....I did purchase the Italy 2010 Guidebook and started looking through it. But as I mentioned I am in the midst of wedding planning, working and trying to plan this trip so my time to read isn't as plentiful as it would be if this was my only task! For walking shoes, I was more or less saying I don't want big clunky shoes that stand out but I do want something that is comfortable. I guess trendy wasn't the right word. If you have any brand or specific models that you recommend let me know.

Posted by
2714 posts

Laura, there is a topic on walking shoes on the Graffiti Wall of this site where zillions of people weight in on their favorite walking shoes. It will give you ideas, but you need to try them on to see what works for you.

Europe Through the Back Door is a great book, and remember, you don't have to read every word. You can just read the sections that are of interest to you or which answer the question that is on your mind on any particular day. Same with other guidebooks.

Hope you have a great wedding and honeymoon. Try not to get too stressed out!

Posted by
588 posts

Laura, I just attended a Rick Steves tour seminar on Greece. My friend and I decided we would definitely pack a light flowing summery dress and/or skirt and a good pair of sandals (I like Joseph Seibel, about $120). You don't see many women in shorts but cropped pants (light weight cotton) are great. You'll be walking on cobblestones, up hills, lots of steps, so you want walking shoes --- wear what you wear at home (athletic shoes okay). I don't know how old you are or your style but a messenger type bag that fits across your body might be best to start with. I carry a botle of water, camera, a guidebook/map in it. Perhaps your new husband might want a small day pack (Civita bag from Rick Steves travel store is great). It will be hot in Greece and in Italy so dress with less. Have a great trip!

Posted by
32213 posts

Laura,

Sorry I forgot this in my first reply - CONGRATULATIONS!

Regarding the walking shoes, as an older male my requirements are a bit different. I'm sure the ladies on the HelpLine will have some good ideas for you.

Just "for the record", I'm currently using ECCO Track II Low walking shoes. They've been working quite well so far.

Cheers!

Posted by
23278 posts

There is no way for us to give you a decent answer in the space allowed for response. You are asking for a guide book. Go buy one. Start with Rick Steves, Through the Back Door for answers to one, two and four. Pick up his guide book for Rome for answer three. Go to your public library and check out his and others DVDs on Rome, Italy, Greek Isle, etc. Do some homework and THEN come back with specific question to which -- we can provide specific answers.

Posted by
536 posts

Hi Laura - "Inexpensive doesn't really go with Rome or Venice; however, I will suggest two Hotels that I have used for myself and tour customers for years that are reasonable and, more importantly perfectly located in each city.
In Roma - http://www.hotelforte.com/en/index.htm
My friends Emanuel and Emanuella run the front desk and are very helpful - PLUS - the Hotel is located directly at The Spanish Steps and easy walking to The Via Veneto, The Roman Forum, and The Trevi Fountain. Also, at The Steps there are a multitude of cafes and restaurants on the side streets that are excellent! I think you will absolutely love the area - I, coincidentally was born on the street that the Hotel is on so I admit- I'm a bit prejudiced!
In Venezia I would suggest - http://www.hotelcasanova.it/
Franco, Dario, and Stefano run the front desk and The Hotel is Directly behind The Piazza San Marco. Nice free breakfast and easy walking to the major sights - The Rialto Bridge area, San Marco Square, and the spectacular views of the Riva degli Schiavoni, the waterway in front of Piazza San Marco.
Regarding The Greek isles - You will go crazy!! I live about 5 months a year on Santorini and Mykonos is the other very special Greek Island. You may also be going to Rhodes, Corfu,and Katakalon - and they are also very special places.

Have a Wonderful time, Greg

Posted by
536 posts

Laura - And, the second part of your question - what to wear? Less is best!! You don't have to take 10 suitcases - casual works , especially that time of year, and when you get on the ship you will see that it works there as well PLUS - there is laundry service available - simply put your clothes outside your cabin door or give them to your cabin steward and they will be back about 4:00 P.M. - clean and ready to go. Not pricy.
A simple but nice pair of walking shoes will get the job done - You're on your Honeymoon - enjoy it and don't worry too much about people checking you out to see what you wear. Not really a major priority for vacationers anymore.

Ciao, Greg

Posted by
34 posts

Hi Audrey-

Sounds like the seminar was helpful! I assumed for the cruise it would be sundresses, flip flops and bathing suits. Very casual. It sounds like my assumptions are on track!

I'm 26 and try to be semi fashionable, lol. I was looking into a messenger style bag. I'm reading that black leather is the most suitable to try and fit in. But I can't imagine a black hand bag being very fitting for summertime in Italy! I'll have to look around.

Posted by
34 posts

Thank you for the Congrats Ken! Much appreciated!

My fiance has a pair of Merrell's that he loves. He bought them when we were on vacation in Florida and wears them all the time. So I've been looking at that brand but I haven't decided what I want.

Posted by
1315 posts

Laura - I think you'll be happier with a fabric or microfiber bag for travel. I wear a leather purse at home but leather is too heavy for travel. You're likely to have a water bottle, camera, etc and it can all get heavy during a day of sightseeing so the lighter your actual bag, the better.

You might also want to look at Puma shoes. I've worn Pumas on my last two trips and love them, and they are not big and clunky.

Congratulations on your marriage!

Posted by
32213 posts

Laura,

One other thing I wanted to mention regarding Daypacks. I usually pack the ETBD Civita Pack along, even if I have another small Pack. It's made with a micro-fibre material and very easy to fit anywhere. With a rolled up coat inside, it works well as a pillow too!

Posted by
316 posts

Congratulations, Laura! Will you be spending two days each in Rome and Venice and where will your cruise be departing from? Pack lightly. It's going to be hot and you won't need to worry about layering for warmth. Most of the posters here will probably give you a pass on taking just a carry on since it's your honeymoon and you'll be taking a cruise also. Just think about each piece you pack and be sure what you take works with several other things. In other words, don't take a blouse or shirt that only matches one pair of pants.Remember that there are no shorts or bare shoulders in churches. I like Hotel Italia Roma in Rome since it's right off Via Nazionale and within walking distance to the Coliseum, etc. Great staff. As far as shoes go, I've spent $$$ looking for the right pair including buying some really expensive ones and found that any shoe that's comfortable will work. I paid $30 for the pair that worked best for me and have a pair that cost over $100 that absolutely killed my feet. I've seen lots of women in the Sketcher Mary Janes. I like a micofiber or nylon day bag that is expandable. That way you can make it large enough to stow a jacket or to store any of your purchases. I'd just make sure it has a long strap to wear across your body. The main thing is to keep it closed and to the front. Happy honeymoon!

Posted by
34 posts

Hi Teena!

We are planning to spend 2 days in Rome, take the train to Venice, spend a day there and then leave for our cruise from Venice. It goes to Croatia and the Greek Isles. I am so excited because I've never traveled to Europe and my fiance has done 2 backpacking trips. So I have to catch up! I've really got to think about my packing and also find some shoes. The purse definitely will be a cross body but i'm having a hard time finding a zipper closure. I think the magnetic button is just too easy to get in to.

Posted by
1449 posts

Laura, congratulations on your upcoming wedding!

I do want to say, though, that since you don't have the time to read thru guidebooks you might want to consider using Rick's consulation service. See http://www.ricksteves.com/about/consulting.htm Thirty minutes to an hour of an experienced advisor's one-on-one time devoted to your trip will answer a lot more of your questions than people are going to have time to answer on this board. Considering the overall expense of the trip and its importance, this may be the best $100 or so you spend. As one customer comment says ""Lisa saved me hours of reading and guessing and not being sure. Totally worth it, very efficient and FUN!"

Posted by
11507 posts

Hi Laura.. what cruiseline are you going on,, ? Most have formal nights,, although you can often eat in alternative dining rooms on those nights if you don't want to bring dress up clothes .

Posted by
1091 posts

Hi Laura,

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding!

You are on track for sundresses in Europe. Also, flowy skirts that can be mixed and matched with tank tops and scarfs are a good choice. Scarfs are a great way to mix up outfits and dress them up. Plus, if you go to a cathedral you can use it to cover your shoulders. They are quite popular in Europe, so you may want to buy some over there too. I brought them back as gifts too because they packed so well. Think layers of flowing clothes for everything else too. Like linen pants, looser capri style pants...etc.

I brought two pair of Merrells on my last trip and I loved them!!! One was a sandal and the other was a hiking/athletic shoe. They were so comfortable and I never had sore feet. I could have walked all day in either pair.

For daytime site seeing a backpack can be a bit much, but some people like the smaller type day bags. I also like the messenger type of bags for day use.

Have a blast and remember that you will be back, so you don't have to cram everything in. :)

Posted by
34 posts

Pat- We are looking at a Royal Caribbean cruise. I would love to get dressed up one night since we don't get to often anyways. I'm hoping I can find something easy to pack but if not, it's okay.

April- What Merrells did you purchase? I found a couple pairs that I liked but would like some recommendations.

Also good call on the scarves....easy to pack and since it should be warm when we are there, an easy way to cover up when we visit churches and other sights.

Posted by
9420 posts

Happy Wedding Laura! My favorite sandal is by Birkenstock, either Cozumel (aka: Mayari) or Gizeh (Gizeh style is very popular in Italy). They are really cute and I can walk in them all day, every day. Happy Honeymoon!

Posted by
34 posts

Thanks Susan! Did you wear sandals your entire trip? I'm thinking I should have more sturdy shoes as well.

Another question: Does anyone have a recommendation of where to stay in Rome? We are spending two days there and I want to be close to many sights so we can walk most of the time. We are on a budget so something that isn't outrageous but puts us in a good location.

Posted by
588 posts

Hi Laura,

Leather is too heavy for a bag as mentioned above. You might look at a LeSport Bag which can be found online or at Macy's. The Madison will hold a water bottle, camera and other necessities but not the guidebook. There are other styles. You will need something sturdier than sandals for walking. Flip flops might be okay for the cruise ship but not for anything off ship.

Posted by
5527 posts

Regarding shoes ... a pair of athletic sandals can work well (I like Ecco Yucatan). They have a sturdy enough sole that they work on cobblestones and I've even worn them on day hikes with a pair of socks. I would not exactly call these trendy :) but they are comfortable.

Posted by
850 posts

Congratulations Laura. Sounds as if you have a full plate for the next few months. To give you some ideas on packing you may want to check out onebag.com if you have not already done so. Packing light is the way to go.

http://www.onebag.com/

Posted by
9420 posts

Hi Laura, Yes, I wore my Birkenstock sandals all day, every day for our 7 wk trip. I wanted to pack light and since it was summer, I knew it would be hot everywhere we went. Birkenstocks are amazingly comfortable, good for walking and form to your feet after they're broken in. The two styles I mentioned above are really cute, nothing like the "classic" Birkenstock. You can check them out at Zappo.com. :)

Posted by
515 posts
  1. Light clothes, scarf to cover up the shoulders in the cathedrals.

2. I love my New Balance shoes, they work awesome. The sould is more important than the ankle support.

3. Rome and Venice are very expensive, so look online.

4. I bought rick steves civita shoulder day bag, works awesome.