Please sign in to post.

gifts for hosts

I will be traveling soon and staying at B&Bs recommended by Rick. I would like to bring a gift from the USA for my hosts that is small, not breakable, and preferably not food or drink (travel-friendly). Does anyone have any suggestions?

Posted by
2297 posts

B&Bs are businesses. Therefore, it's really not necessary to bring along a gift for the host. However, if I was particularly pleased by a B&B I do send them a postcard with a picture from my city once I'm back home to say thanks for the pleasant stay.

Posted by
5678 posts

Laura, if you want to get some insights into the B&B business in the UK. Go to Amazon.co.uk and order the book "Heads on Pillows." It's written by an award-winning, now retired B&B owner in the north of Scotland. She talks about getting started all the adventures that she had through her time of running a B&B. I think if you return to a place it can sometimes be nice to bring a present. Or if the host does something very special then sometimes a present is warranted. For example, I had a pair of pants split on my. The hostess dug out her sewing machine and stitched them up for me. I got her some very nice bath salts.

Pam

Posted by
8954 posts

Would you bring a gift in the US to a B&B? Why would you bring one over here? If you enjoy your stay, I think most places would much prefer a review in whatever publications they get most of their business from. Could be Rick Steves, or Trip Advisor, or some other guide book or travel forum, or all of the above. A good review is like money in the bank for small businesses, much more valuable and appreciated than some trinket from the States.

Posted by
8293 posts

I agree entirely with Jo on this. It is a natural thing to do if you are a guest in someone's home, that is, to bring a gift. But you are a "guest" only in the sense that a hotel patron is a guest. You are a paying customer and the people you refer to as your "hosts" are the owners of a business enterprise. You will have a commercial arrangement with them which is mutually beneficial (hopefully).

Posted by
240 posts

Laura, I think you are quite kind to bring a gift to the host/hostess. We stayed at a B&B in Italy..and I brought them a bottle of wine from my local winery. They loved the gesture and loved the wine. The hostess was an American woman and was quite thrilled to have some wine from our area. I packed the wine in bubble wrap in between my clothes and it traveled just fine. I do send her many clients as the place was so beautiful and perfect.

Posted by
240 posts

Laura, I think you are quite kind to bring a gift to the host/hostess. We stayed at a B&B in Italy..and I brought them a bottle of wine from my local winery. They loved the gesture and loved the wine. The hostess was an American woman and was quite thrilled to have some wine from our area. I packed the wine in bubble wrap in between my clothes and it traveled just fine. I do send her many clients as the place was so beautiful and perfect.

Posted by
196 posts

Laura,

I like to take a small gift to those who have been extra helpful/friendly in our e-mail correspondence when we are staying someplace for multiple nights.I have found our hosts to be pleased with our gift. Huckleberries are native to the Pacific NW, so I buy 4 oz jars, wrap each in bubble wrap + a ziplock. Yes, they take up a little space, but then I have a little extra room for goodies to bring home.

Posted by
187 posts

I think its a very nice gesture. I don't see you as merely a customer in a business, but a good will ambassador from another country.

We are making our first trip to Italy this Spring. I intend to print little cards that say, in Italian, thank you for making our trip so wonderful. Or something along those lines. Babblefish makes it easy to translate. Of course I would premise that our Italian written and spoken is terrible! I used to do this for people that cared for my family members, nursing staff and the like.

As in any profession, getting a nice thank you can mean the world to someone who is working hard.

I plan to give to anyone that is helpful or kind to us.