Please sign in to post.

EuroStar from Paris to London

I am travling from Paris to London on the EuroStar this summer. I was checking ticket pricing and their is a big difference between Standard Fare and the next class of Luxury - my question is - is the next class of service worth the extra $144 over the standard fare of $74? Any of you who have traveled on Standard Fare - is it comfortable?

Posted by
54 posts

I have taken the Eurostar twice in "Standard" fare and it was comfortable. I personally would not pay the extra $144 for the "Luxury" seats.

Posted by
8293 posts

Yes, John, it is perfectly comfortable and the journey is 2 hours and 15 minutes only, so take the money you will save and have a blow out dinner.

Posted by
2776 posts

John, don't spend the extra money. I agree with Norma, it is comfortable.

Posted by
11507 posts

I have taken the Eurostar three times now,, and always in standard class,, perfectly comfortable .

Bring your own snacks though,, you do not need a meal,, its only 2.5 hours,, but the snacks available seemed pretty lame to me. I did get a nice ham baguette from Pauls at the station in London before I boarded.

Bring a good book and relax,, you'll be there before you know it.

Posted by
5533 posts

Once, I took the Eurostar business class. The company I was working for bought the ticket for me. It is so NOT worth it. You get a slightly bigger seat and the equivalent of a coach class airplane meal. Oh, and there is an attendant in the car.

Ever since then, I have always bought a standard class ticket. The seats are really quite comfortable. And you can buy a better quality meal in the terminal to take with you for $10.

The trip is just over 2 hours. Save the $144 and have a really good meal in Paris.

Posted by
1170 posts

I have taken the Eurostar 4 times and always found standard fare seats to be quite comfy. Like Pat, I take my snacks and enjoy the ride...except for this past December when I travelled and wondered if we would break down!

Posted by
1170 posts

I have taken the Eurostar 4 times and always found standard fare seats to be quite comfy. Like Pat, I take my snacks and enjoy the ride...except for this past December when I travelled and wondered if we would break down!

Posted by
211 posts

I'm chiming in with the others, not worth it. I took the economy trip with the EuroStar and found it very pleasant.

On the other hand, I bought an economy ticket for the Thalays to Brussels, had a delay on the metro which caused me to just miss my train, and because I was meeting a friend needed to catch the next train, and there was only room in the first class section, so I upgraded. It wasn't worth it at all, I couldn't tell that the seat was better, and the lunch that was served was typical plane food served in economy, and to top it all off my seat tray was broken, so I had to balance my meal on my lap.

Coming back from Brussels with my regular fare, I still couldn't tell the seat difference and the snacks that I brought with me were a much better meal than what was served.

Posted by
1265 posts

John - I agree with the others. Save your money, standard class is just fine. If you can, try to secure a seat with a table.

Posted by
515 posts

standard seats were quite nice and comfy....bring along a snack of your own...great trip

Posted by
359 posts

John; first time on Eurostar a few years ago (Lille to London)sat in a between car, fold down jump-seat. There was major and heated "discussions" going on in my 2nd class car about which seat belonged to whom and I wanted no part of it. Stowed my bag in the rack at the end of the carriage (within sight), sat on the jump-seat, & watched the scenery go by through the door windows. I was first off the train in London (Waterloo Station in those days).

First-class is better than second, second is better than jump-seat, but Eurostar's the best way to do London to/from the Continent -and it ain't worth the extra $'s for 1st.