Please sign in to post.

Leipzig, Germany

I will be traveling with my husband who will be working in Leipzig the first week in June. Any suggestions for surrounding sights that would be of interest for me to journey off to? Not too far. Linda

Posted by
2297 posts

I just spent 2 1/2 days in Leipzig - and was severely strapped for time to see all I wanted to see. There was no time for shopping in one of the 30 historic passages, no time to go up the "Voelkerschlachtdenkmal" (only took a snap shot from outside), no time to browse one of the historic book stores, no time to take in a concert at the Gewandhaus or St Thomas Church ... you'll find enough to keep you busy for the week. The Stasi museum in "Runde Ecke" alone captivated us for 2 solid hours. It's free, English audio-guides are available for a nominal fee. June is a great time to explore the many canals. You can even do a gondola ride!

That said, if there's a side trip not to be missed it would be Dresden. While Leipzig is called "Little Paris" there is a good reason Dresden has the nickname "Florence on the Elbe".

Posted by
2779 posts

Beatrix pretty much said it all. Focus on all the great sights the city itself has to offer. IMO there are two "must-take" day trips from Leipzig: Dresden (can easily be done by train) and Wörlitz gardens (www.woerlitz-information.de, then click English flag). It's a UNESCO world heritage and should be done on a sunny days. Unfortunately even though it's not really that far there is no good rail connection between Leipzig and Wörlitz so that a bus tour (or rental car, about 1 hrs drive) would be more suitable...

Posted by
693 posts

I know you asked for surrounding sights but perhaps you wont mind if I mention some right in the city. Beatrix already talked about several of the main sights We really enjoyed going to the restaurant almost at the top of the City Hochhaus (formerly called the University Tower) and then on to the very top/roof on a clear night with a full moon. They sell champagne by the glass just before the last few stairs (easy, short climb or I couldn't have done it.) Fabulous panorama - all of Leipzig at your feet. The City Hochhaus (City Highrise) is right in central Leipzig, at one side of the Augustus Platz, where the opera house and symphony hall are also located (on opposite sides), as is the famous and beautiful Mende Brunnen (fountain, near the symphony, you can google it for photos.) There's a concert at Thomaskirche almost every Friday night and early Saturday afternoon. They're cheap; the line was rather long (you pay at the entrance) but it moved fast, except the best seats go first. Johann Sebastian Bach is buried there. Music lovers still leave flowers at his grave. Don't miss a tour of the "Alte Rathaus" the old city hall, it's several hundred years old and has a few nice old rooms with antique furniture. It faces the main market square, where there's a great food and flower market a couple of times a week. Behind it is the "Alte Boerse" - from 1678 or so, the first commerce bank. It's small but beautiful. More or less across from that are shopping passages (sort of first indoor malls) with the famous restaurant Auerbachs Keller, also several hundred years old. I second a trip to Dresden (they send out free info via airmail if you request it on the internet - more than one language, Engl. included.) You really ought to overnight there - take your husband along. My German friends told me about Woerlitz Gardens; I'd never even heard of it but now I want to go there, too. By the way, it can be quite cool there, even in June.

Posted by
2297 posts

Well, in case you're also interested in tips about Leipzig itself than have a look at this website. I'm not familiar at all with these tours but it is a very good presentation about the highlights of Leipzig's architecture in English. Especially the industrial architecture can be surprisingly stunning and different from what most tourists get to see.

http://www.architektouren.com/english/leipzig/index.html

Here's one of my favourite photos of our trip to Leipzig. It's the Bach window in the Thomaskirche (St Thomas Church). There are several themed stained glass windows in the church. The latest one was installed in Oct 2009 commemorating the "Peaceful Revolution". The Monday Demonstrations in Leipzig were the catalyst for the Fall of the Berlin Wall. Which gave the city its other nickname "City of Heros". Which reminds me - don't forget to see Nikolau Church where it all started ...