Please sign in to post.
Posted by
872 posts

I would have to respectfully disagree that the myth is busted. I don't think it's a matter of what you wear, but how you wear it. Yes, jeans and sneakers were plentiful, but they were of the fashionable kind. There is a difference. My husband and I wore jeans and sneakers while in Paris and were mistaken for Parisian on two occasions. When I was in southern Italy, I could not believe how fantastic the high schoolers looked compared to how our students come to school (I work in a school). Again, I’m sure this is a topic that will be civilly debated for many more years to come.

Posted by
9363 posts

"Yes, jeans and sneakers were plentiful, but they were of the fashionable kind."

Therein lies the debate. What is fashionable among US teens is not the same as what is fashionable among European ones. It doesn't make one better than the other. It's simply personal choice.

I tend to agree with Jo - the idea that only Americans wear white tennis shes, or that you'll be instantly identified as a foreigner if you don't wear black in Paris is simply not true.

Posted by
5678 posts

Hey if you don't wear black in New York City, you'll be labeled an out-of-towner for sure. ; ) Since I've been traveling to NYC for business my wardrobe of black tops, black slacks, black skirts, black coats, black pashmina, black shoes, black socks, black gloves, black hats, even black underwear has multiplied fantastically. I wear lovely green Haflinger house shoes at home in sheer rebellion. ; ) Pam

Posted by
2030 posts

I think most of the people in the pictures look good. Yes some are wearing white tennis shoes, but there are no pictures of women wearing jogging shoes and jeans, sweat pants outfits like you see over here everywhere. Comfortable though these things are, it's just a too casual look for the streets of Paris, and not flattering to many American bodies. And yes it doesn't matter what you wear, everyone should be comfortable, etc... but some people do care how they look, different styles of dress is another cultural difference between US and Europe, and it's interesting.

Posted by
689 posts

This guy took those pictures in his neighborhood on the outskirts of the city, in a largely immigrant neighborhood. "Kerouac2" has this weird thing about convincing people that Parisians don't dress well--he posts on just about every message board and brings up the subject all the time. As he even admits, though, those photos aren't representitive of nicer nieghborhoods, like the 6th and 7th, where many of Rick's readers like to stay. I always stay in the 7th, and I'm always stuck by how fantasic people look, even whole families just out to the market or lunch or whatever on weekends.

Posted by
689 posts

And for those who think it doesn't matter, I'd disagree. Every time I hear a story from an American about how rudely some waiter or shopkeeper treated them in France (and people LOVE to tell me these stories when they find out we go every year), I think, Oh yeah? How were you dressed? I agree very much with Paris resident and pastry chef David Lebowitz, who has this bit of advice for dining in Paris on his blog:

"Visiting and dining in Paris all boils down to one rule: How You Get Treated is Directly Proportional to the Way that you Behave and Present Yourself.
It’s taken me a few years to get used to the fact that I can’t run to the corner bakery for bread wearing sweatpants and flipflops, nor can I wolf down pastries on the métro without getting disapproving stares. So don’t be afraid to dress a bit better than you would at home and to practice a few words of your high-school French."

Posted by
12040 posts

"Every time I hear a story from an American about how rudely some waiter or shopkeeper treated them in France (and people LOVE to tell me these stories when they find out we go every year), I think, Oh yeah? How were you dressed?" Or, they didn't greet the shopkeeper, they spoke in typical loud American voices, they expected the same superficial friendliness often found in the US, or perhaps the shopkeeper was just having a bad day.

Jo, thanks for provoking this debate yet again!

Posted by
8947 posts

I just posted the fashion photos.

It is up to the others to fuss and tussle if that's what floats their boat.

Posted by
211 posts

I spent a semester studying in France and was typically the only exchange student in my classes so I got to see how my French peers typically dressed during day classes, nights out etc. There was more of a polish to what the French students wore against North Americans.
When I was there just under two years ago, for girls it was skinny dark wash jeans tucked into riding style boots, a nice top, always with a scarf, a pea coat as outer wear and a longchamp bag on the arm.
I adopted the same style and was typically assumed French, greeted and spken to in French etc. (That is until I opend my mouth to speak)
That being said I do believe its all about being comfortable and that means different things to different people. Some people like the physical comfort of clothes, like good walking shoes, where are more comfortable knowing what they wear is in fashion.

Posted by
9100 posts

You didn't just "post" the photos, you also added flamebait with the specific intention of provoking others. It's one thing when this debate gets started when a first timer to the board asks a fashion question, but to intentionally start-up a debate like this is very juvenile. But I guess that's what floats your boat;)

Posted by
8947 posts

"flame bait" and "juvenile" are some pretty strong words for a post that is just a bit of fun.

Posted by
2349 posts

Yep, that's our Jo. Never a kind word or voice of reason. Just a juvenile flame baiter.

Michael, if this thread does not interest you, please put it down and walk away slowly.

Posted by
12172 posts

If I didn't have to pack them in a carry-on, I'd also wear jeans, boots and a heavy coat in December.

Posted by
10230 posts

I took jeans, boots and wool pea coat on my trip last winter and carried on my bag. How? I wore them on the plane. I actually wore one pair of jeans and packed two others!

Posted by
2715 posts

I actually try to stay reasonably in style at home without sacrificing comfort, of course. But when I travel, comfort is all I care about. I'm sure everyone can tell I'm an American, and I tend to look slightly slovenly since baggy=comfort. But everyone that waited on me in France was really nice to me.

I agree that the French tend to dress fashionably. I just don't think this makes them superior. Sometimes it all seems rather silly to me. It's like a memo went out -- scarves and dark jeans are fashionable, so they all go out and buy scarves and dark jeans. Maybe tomorrow it will be faded jeans or striped pants. Who gets to make these decisions and why do we care. Like I said, I follow fashion to a certain degree myself (just not so much when I travel), but I can't defend it.

Posted by
10230 posts

I just like to wear jeans and that's what is comfortable to me. I didn't take any for summer travel, but in the winter and spring I did. Some people like to wear wool pants for winter travel, but frankly I don't think they even sell them where I live! I think everyone should wear what they feel comfortable with.

Posted by
15072 posts

Did you notice that no one is wearing shorts!!!! (Okay, it is December, but I thought I'd throw that in.)

Posted by
517 posts

I just like it that over here (o.k., I'm in Vienna, not Paris) I can go to work in the winter wearing a fedora and a long coat without even once getting an "Indiana Jones/Humphrey Bogart" comment.

Posted by
1170 posts

Comfort while travelling is important. We would love to dress like the women do in Paris (daughter and I), but they're not walking for hours sightseeing. We have passed passed for Italians, Brits and French even though we were wearing our most stylish but comfy clothing.

Posted by
14530 posts

Jo---thanks for this post. It's good to be provoked if one feels that way.

Except for my first three trips to Europe, I have worn tennis shoes over there since and always clean white ones at that. I don't wear jeans and especially do not wear shorts in Europe in the summer. Dress neatly, carry yourself well, and you will be treated well in France; I've had no real problems in all these years.

The locals will know I am an American once I open my mouth since we don't speak as our British cousins do.

Posted by
1035 posts

I like to people watch and one of the games I play is pick out the American. Granted, some make it easier than others, but no matter how much you try to blend in, there is usually a "tell."

The thing is, I am not even sure what the "tell" is sometimes, it is more instinctive.

OK, I sometimes confuse our bretheren to the North for Americans until I see a maple leaf adorned somewhere on their person.

Posted by
188 posts

You might be right, Michael. They could have been Americans trying to pass themselves off as Canadians!! We don't wear the maple leaf anymore ;-)