Please sign in to post.

Travelling to Malta

What is the most cost efficient, easiest, and less tiring means of getting to Malta from London?

Posted by
417 posts

Probably a flight. Easyjet has fares from Gatwick to Malta for around $150, flight is around 4 hours.

Gatwick is a nice airport, not too far from the center. Good rail connections.

www.easyjet.com

Posted by
2193 posts

I read a piece about Malta just yesterday and learned that most arrive via cruise ship...350 cruise ships and 500,000 tourists each year. The Megalithic Temples sound remarkable.

Posted by
417 posts

The megalithic temples are very intriguing and also real simple to get to as buses run from Valletta. We did Tarxien (pronounced tarsheen) and were impressed. I think total time to, there and back to Valletta was about two hours, plus we got to see how ordinary Maltese live outside the tourist center of Valletta.

Posted by
8293 posts

You can get to almost anywhere on the island by public transportation. There is a large bus terminal in Valetta and all the island buses start and end there.

Valetta, by the way, has a small but interesting archeological museum, which houses artifacts from the temples & ruins. I also found the Lascaris War Rooms fascinating.

Posted by
162 posts

Malta sounds like an interesting place - I would like to get there someday. I am pretty sure Rick Steves has never been, I think I remember someone on a PBS pledge drive ask him about Malta and he confessed that he had never been.

Bombed heavily in the war, and I think it might be where Elizabeth and Philip had their honeymoon in 1947.

Posted by
668 posts

Ben there twice, 2 weeks some time ago and from a cruise ship more recently. Most interesting place. Co-cathdral of St John and the Grand Master's Palace in Valetta most interesting. The rest of island is starkly scenic with a few nice beaches, but a lot of rocky seashore and inlet harbours. Be sure to visit Gozo as well. Nicholas Monsarrat in "The Kappillan of Malta" wrote a very informative history in novel style. Well worth a read for anyone visiting.