Please sign in to post.

Money in Europe

Hi I am going to be spending this coming semester in Rome and I am unsure on the situation with my debt card. I was wondering does anyone recommend a credit card or debt/ATM card for me while abroad? Thanks for your help

Posted by
9363 posts

Shop around for a debit card that charges lower fees, maybe even none. My local credit union debit card doesn't charge any additional fees for withdrawing funds while abroad. The major banks' cards generally charge 1-3% for foreign transactions.

As for credit cards, Capital One and Charles Schwab are the two that are mentioned here as having no foreign transaction fees for charges abroad.

Posted by
32212 posts

Jordan,

I'm assuming you mean your debit card? If you're going to be accessing cash via ATM's, I would definitely recommend at least one (and preferably two) debit/ATM cards. Note that your funds must be in a chequing account with a four number PIN. The card should have the Cirrus / Maestro or other logos on the back.

At least one credit card would also be a really good idea, in case of "emergencies" or unexpected expenses. As you'll be in Rome for a Semester, you might consider delegating someone back home to pay the bill (unless you're going to take care of that via online banking).

Buon Viaggio!

Posted by
9 posts

Ask about the foreign transaction fees you will be charged. If they accept credit cards, they usually accept Visa or MC at the minimum, so that is not too big a deal. You won't be charged by the vendors in Europe, but your bank will charge you per transaction. I haven't had any problems with my debit card (has MC logo so I use it as debit for ATM/CC when buying something) being accepted anywhere.

Posted by
8700 posts

For good tips on getting cash in Europe, read Money 101 by Rick Steves.