Please sign in to post.

ATM question

Do they use numbers or letters for pin access in Europe?

Posted by
23177 posts

ABSOLUTELY -- numbers only !!!!!

Posted by
4555 posts

They apparently like 4-digit numbers the best....and the first shouldn't be a zero.

Posted by
9363 posts

My PIN starts with a zero and I have had no problem using my ATM card in three countries. Perhaps it depends on the system.

Posted by
251 posts

Also,

Not related,but make sure you call your bank and tell them that you will be using it abroad and where you are travelling. I have had mine freeze due to a security measure that looks out for "odd" purchases, and gets worried when they see it being used in France or Italy and my home address is WA.

Posted by
1568 posts

Absolutely notify your bank of the departure and return dates and the countries you will be visiting. My bank told me they would have put a freeze on my account had I not notified them.

Posted by
805 posts

I have a four digit PIN and what I was told, and had to do on a couple occasions, is that if your PIN fails the first time, try tacking on two 0s at the end to make it six digits.

Posted by
4 posts

I'm not sure about the zero's, but it has been mentioned to me that the PIN must be 4 digits only and that I needed to have mine changed before leaving... Has anyone else encountered this problem?

Posted by
32171 posts

Nancy, in addition to using a four-number PIN and notifying your Bank, you must have your funds in a Chequing account. Based on my experiences (and that of others that I know), European ATM's can not access Savings accounts.

Happy travels!

Posted by
2773 posts

Nancy, Ken is correct when he said that your ATM has to be connected to your checking account.