Please sign in to post.

Lightweight luggage

My DH and I have been looking into a lightweight suitcase. I found a 31" Samsonite F'lite suitcase and it is just the ticket for long trips. We could get both of our clothes in one bag! Anyone have any thoughts on a bag that is 64 linear inches? I worry about checking this bag. I know the weight limit is 50 lbs, but anyone ever experienced size problems with suitcases?
thanks!
suz

Posted by
9363 posts

Also, if a big bag with both of your clothes gets lost or delayed you are BOTH out of luck. I'd suggest two bags -- and put at least one outfit in each other's bag in case one is delayed.

Posted by
423 posts

Hi Susan, I think you will regret (or at least your DH, if he is the one going to carry it) taking such a large suitcase with you. You don't mention whether you are taking trains in your travel but this size bag will be difficult to manage on trains for certain. You are better off getting 2 smaller bags so you can "share the weight" so to speak. Just my humble opinion. I took a 21 inch suitcase with wheels for 2 week trip (doing laundry in between).

Posted by
11 posts

LOL, guess I forgot to mention that it is a wheeled pull type bag. The only exertion would be lifting it into the trunk of the car. No worse than a smaller bag that weighs 50 lbs.
And I travel alone also and would have to lift it. The point is it is very light and easy to manuever.
Guess I should also say, we are cruising, so no trains. I wouldn't take it on a train. Backpacks for that type of travel. Thanks for the feedback.
Susan

Posted by
1568 posts

I have a large rolling suitcase will never use it again. Agree - it would be best if you had 2 smaller rolling bags.

Posted by
11 posts

Thanks everyone. We'll take your advice. Two bags are better than one. We're rollin'!

Posted by
27 posts

Susan,

We also thought traveling light meant 1 large suitcase and 2 smaller ones. Never again! We will go with a small bag for each traveller and a carry-on. Getting on and off trains and buses with our large bag was difficult. Most trains we were on did not have a space to store our large bag. Often lots of steps or a long walk to get to hotels. Even tho all our bags had wheels, they were heavy. Everywhere we traveled we were able to do our laundry. When Rick Steve's suggests "pack light" there is good reason. Try taking a walk with your suitcase packed...don't roll it, carry it and you will not make the mistake we did.

Have a great trip!
Kay
Powder Springs, GA

Posted by
1568 posts

I swear by day back packs in addition to a 21" Roll Aboard.

Posted by
11 posts

I may note have told you, but we are cruising out of Venice. That usually means more clothing required, but ya know what, I'm gonna take the challenge and try to get all of our "stuff" in two small rolling bags. Think I can? Chico's clothing works well I think.
Thanks to everyone for the great advice.
Suz