Please sign in to post.

Budapest or Prague?

Three couples are planning to go in September or October 2010. Which city is the best choice and why? Does it make sense to try to see both in a 10 day vacation? When does it start to get too cold? Thanks so much.

Posted by
787 posts

Depends on what you like. How did you narrow your options down to those two cities - what things did the three couples like about Prague and Budapest?

My husband, 13-year-old son and visited both cities two years ago. We spent 4 nights in each location, which was more than enough time for us and our interests.

Prague is smaller and cuter, having not been bombed during WWII, so it has many older, original buildings. It reminded us of a miniature Paris (but without Pari's culture and food).

Budapest is larger and more sophisticated, with a more continental feel and dining scene.

I would say that the cities have about the same amount of historic and cultural sites and museums (neither had a great number of musuems). Both city centers are rather compact and easily walkable; Budapest also has an easy-to-use short subway system.

You could easily see both in a 10-day vacation. Our trip also included about a week in rural Czech Republic, Slovakia and Hungary. If I was only visitin two cities, and no rural areas, in 10 days, I would feel that Budapest and Prague are a little too similar too each other. Depending on your interests, you might want to consider time in the countryside (the Czech Republic, in particular, has many gorgeous old castles that are open to visit) or include either Budapest, or Prague, plus another city like Vienna.

"Too cold" is relative. I'd suggest checking out some weather websites for temperatures in each location at that time of year.

Posted by
14 posts

James:

Assuming your 10-day trip does not include the 2.5 days you will lose at the front and back flying from/to DFW, I think you can easily do both.

You will also lose some time traveling between the two cities. DB Bahn shows the shortest train between the two is about 7 hours, Kayak shows that it's about 1.5 hours by plane, but remember you'll have to add transport time to/from the airport plus the time you allow yourself to check in and clear security.

Both are great cities. I've recently started a travel blog and have a post/photos about Prague and another on a neat day trip from Prague, if you're interested. I'm working on a piece about my Budapest favorites that I plan to post sometime next week.

Private message if you have any questions. You can find me at www.travelblur.com.

Charlie