Please sign in to post.

Day trip out of London

We will be spending four nights in London, then leaving for Brittany for almost three weeks, with two nights in Paris before coming back home.

We've been to England numerous times, but stayed outside of London (Abingdon).

We want to take in a show for sure!

We always missed Portobello road on a Saturday. Is it worth a visit?

We've been to Cambridge in the summer and also Windsor and Greenwich.

Daughter wants to see Brighton. Worth a day trip?

Never been to Hampstead Heath. Worth a quick visit?

Cornwall too far for a day trip? We have always wanted to go, but never found the time. Would December be a bad time for this?

We arrive on the 18th December, which is a lost day for us because unlike many folks here, we do not have the energy to do heavy duty sightseeing, so this leaves three full days to pack in whatever we can before leaving for Brittany on the 22nd.

Posted by
8293 posts

Brighton Pier might not be too much fun. We were there one winter's day and most of the attractions were closed, though it probably was a weekday which may account for that. There's always the wondrous Brighton Pavillion, though.

Posted by
1170 posts

Steve, we won't spend the day indoors sleeping, but we're usually quite foggy and must take a 2 hour nap. We would try to do something light that first day.

Went to Bath last year.

So Portobello second day, and whatever else we can revisit that day, with hopefully a play that evening.

Is Cambridge decorated nicely for Christmas? If it's not raining, we may do Brighton. Anywhere else close by to visit yet "out of town" so to speak?

We've done Kew Gardens as well, and Hampton Court.

Posted by
3428 posts

Kew Gardens is well worth a visit- even in winter. They decorate for Christmas and even have an ice rink some years. It might be nice on your arrival day. I'd suggest you consider Cardiff Wales, York or Canturbury for a day trip. All have nice Christmas markets (so does Bath- but you have been there). Winchester is also a nice day (or 1/2 day) trip. On your theatre day, consider going back to Windsor- they also have nice, but small Christmas market and I just love the shops and the castle...Brighton is ok for a day trip, but not among my first choices. Stratford-Upon-Avon is also a good choice. Personally, I don't find Portobello road that appealling- I just can't afford the real antiques and it is very crowded! I like Covent Garden Market and Camden Locks. Let me know if you want to read an article I wrote about day trips out of London by train and I'll send you the link.

Posted by
16057 posts

One of the problems you're going to have is the amount of sunlight--only about 8 hours a day that time of year. On Dec. 21, the sun rises at 8:03 AM and sets at 3:53 PM.

Corwall is too far. Brighton can be fun but will be windy and cold.

I suggest taking the walking tour of Hamstead given by London Walks which will include parts of the Heath.

That time of year it may be best to do things in and around London.

Posted by
1170 posts

Toni, yes I'd appreciate the link.

Brighton does not sound like a good idea in winter!

We did Stratford last year in December and loved our time there.

It does get dark quickly though :-(

I'm getting the feeling that closer to London is better based on the shorter days.

Posted by
810 posts

Just another plug for the Royal Pavilion - it's a fabulous Indian-style palace built for the Prince Regent around 1815-1820. Visiting it would certainly be an indoor activity so short days and cold weather shouldn't keep you away. I'm not sure what else you might want to do in Brighton that time of year, however; others may be able to weigh in.
Here's a link to the palace website: http://www.royalpavilion.org.uk/palace/the_palace.asp Have a wonderful trip!