Please sign in to post.

first time

i'll be spending 4-5 weeks in Poland this fall.
i'll just be going from airport to hostel, from hostel to train, etc. also, taking day trips. what size backpack should i get? eagle creek 65 0r 95?

thanks,

john

Posted by
32324 posts

john,

Either Pack would be a good choice, but the 90L is probably a bit larger than most of us would recommend. Do you usually pack light?

I assume you're looking at either the Thrive 65 or 90? Both packs have similar features, including zip-away suspension (which is a good feature to prevent damage from airport conveyor systems)and a detachable Daypack (good for carry-on) which can be carried either on the back or the front for better load balancing.

Even though you're only planning to carry it for limited distances, it's still important to be fitted properly for torso length. Any competent sales person should be able to measure this for you. Both packs have adjustable suspension, however if you have a long torso length, the larger model will probably be a better fit.

One point to keep in mind when considering size, is that if you'll be travelling by budget airlines in Europe at all, they usually have very restrictive baggage limits. If you're carrying a lot of kit, you'll pay! Also, a larger Pack won't be as "easy" of a fit onto the overhead racks in train compartments.

Finally, as you indicated this was the "first time", I'd highly recommend reading Europe Through The Back Door before you get too far in your planning.

Happy travels!

Posted by
235 posts

90L is big. You may be tempted to overpack. I once took an 82L backpack, which seemed like a good idea at the time. However, after about 1/4 mile, it starts to get heavy. I'm 6 feet tall in good shape, but I dreaded getting from the train station to the hotel. My advice is to take less stuff if you can. If you're like me and hate washing clothes in the sink, try a laundry service. I found it to be worth the cost.