Please sign in to post.

Reservations for Uffizi and Accademia

Can anyone give me any ideas for how to reserve tickets to these museums? Would it be better to book through a site (and pay the fee) or go through my hotel. I am traveling in October, so maybe it will be easier to get a reservation when we get there? Thanks!

Posted by
4 posts

I toured the Uffizi today! We got in to Florence yesterday, went directly there, and made a reservation for this morning. Much cheaper than booking online (came to 14 euros each, I believe).

Every guide book I read advised making reservations well in advance, but we had no problems whatsoever.

Posted by
12172 posts

We called about 48 hours ahead to get reservations, very easy to do. We went in October so you may need to call earlier if you travel in high season. We went to the Academia first thing then to Uffizi. By the time we got to Uffizi, the line was very long - even in October - so reservations are definitely the way to go.

I know it's routine for hotels to get reservations but I'm hesitant to rely on them. Italians work at a different pace and rarely see the urgency in anything. If they forgot to do it, their attitude might be "Oh well, you can still go. You just have to wait in line." On the other hand, it may be "Oh, I forgot to call. I have a cousin there who can get you in without waiting in line," and the whole thing could turn into an interesting local experience.

Posted by
411 posts

We've always had our hotel ( Hotel Dali ) make our reservations and have never had a problem. The advantage of not prepaying in advance, this year when we went to the Academeia there was a line of maybe six people so we just got in line and bought tickets and saved the 4 euro reservation fee. Last year the line was wrapped around the corner and we were able to walk past them and use our reservation number to avoid the wait.

Posted by
676 posts

I went to Florence in Sept 05 I think it was and had our hotel reserve tickets. It was a smaller B&B, a big hotel might have the typical "domani" (tomorrow) attitude. We got in the next day. However, they made reservations for both on the same day, and that definitely was museum overload for me! SO I'd suggest unless you're CRAZY for art museums separating them.

Posted by
267 posts

I had my bed and breakfast make our reservations for us. We were there late Sept of last year, and we saw the Uffizi in the earlier morning (not very crowded) and Accademia (VERY crowded) in mid afternoon. You'll need more time for the Uffizi for sure; it's huge!
I believe we paid a very small reservation fee for this advanced booking (paid to the museum upon entry), but it also saved us from standing in a HUGE line at the Accademia!!! Be sure to go to the "reserved ticket" line and not the longer general admission line! I would not waste your money with using an online booking company; waste of money for the same service your hotel/b&b should do for you for free.
I asked well in advance for our reservations, and gave them a couple different times in the same day to choose from. Print out your reservation number/confirmation they email to you and show it to the galleries when you arrive.