Please sign in to post.

Europcar

I discovered that Europcar's rates for a rental in Germany are sunstantially lower (33%) than Hertz and Avis. I also discovered that user reviews indicate there are many service issues with Europcar. Please advise if you have had a good or bad experience with Europcar.

Posted by
8700 posts

Sue,

It looks like jim is asking about Europcar, which is a rental company, rather than the broker Auto Europe.

When I booked a rental car in France through Auto Europe, the car was provided by Europcar. I know that it is also possible to book directly with Europcar.

jim,

While you're checking prices, take a look at what you can get from Gemut and Sixt.

Posted by
283 posts

We have rented from them for years, due to the price. We have never had an issue. We get a fairly new car, nice and clean. Never had any issues with the car working or breaking down.

My only complaint, which isn't too big, is that they tend to give you a larger car. I have booked a subcompact and end up with larger car. The only downside is that the bigger the car, the more gas it requires and gas is expensive in France.

Normally when you book through them, you actually pick up the car from National, as Autoeurope is a broker. At least that has been my experience renting in Avignon and CDG. It was always National.

Posted by
107 posts

I have rented from both Europcar and Sixt, both were excellant to deal with and reasonably priced.

Posted by
11 posts

I was recently in France and rented directly from Europcar, the experience was fine with the car and the rental process.

Posted by
85 posts

I've used Europocar twice in Italy - cars were nice and good prices. I would definitely recommend to a friend.

I've seen many complaints by people who didn't realize that an automatic transmission was an upgrade they would have to book in advance so be aware that their cars are typically stick shifts.

Posted by
694 posts

Jim i used Europcar in Germany and I had a good experience, no problem at all.

Posted by
442 posts

Jim, we've used Europcar twice in Germany and have had no troubles. They have been very friendly to deal with and we have always been happy with our vehicle, and the final bill.

Posted by
655 posts

We have rented directly from Europcar in Spain, Switzerland, and New Zealand. We have always been very pleased.

Posted by
2 posts

I rented from Europcar and will never rent from them again. I prepaid the rental through AutoEurope, but Europcar charged me an $800 deposit. When I returned the car, I was charged an additional $75 and never received an explanation. When I rented from Avis, I had a much better experience. Even though I did a last minute rental, the rates were only slightly higher and no deposit was charged to my credit card.

Posted by
73 posts

We had a fabulous experience with Europcar. We got a very clean diesel Renault Scenic (manual) that we drove all over Normandy and Brittany with 2 adults, 2 kids, and 4 bags last month. We paid about a third less than we were quoted by Hertz and found it very easy to pick up the car in Paris and deliver it back to our terminal at Charles de Gaulle.

They're the first rental car agency we will consider the next time we're in Europe.

Posted by
191 posts

I had no issues when I rented from Europcar.

Posted by
792 posts

We used Europcar & Goldcar Europa on a recent 6 week trip.

Goldcar Europa posed no problems; but Europcar was problematic. In Perpignan, France the agent spoke no English and didn't even attempt to converse with us in French. She charged us for an extra full day because we arrived 1 hour early to pick up the car (we didn't realize we were early) and they also charged us an extra 15 euros because even though they were servicing customers at 13:00, they were not "officially" open. None of this was explained to me, I found out after the fact. Also, upon returning a car to Europcar in Arles, the rental agent tried slamming me with extra charges implying first that the car was too dirty (it wasn't) and second that there was damage to it (simply a rubber mark on the fender that I easily wiped off). I stood up to her and she backed down & didn't impose the charges.

Posted by
1158 posts

I only used this company once some years ago and didn't have any problems with them..well I didn't have any problem on the road either.
Yes they are much cheaper than herts/Avis and also they have many offices thru Europe.

Posted by
26 posts

I used Enterprise in Germany. They were much cheaper and better service than Europcar.

Posted by
26 posts

I used Enterprise in Germany. They were much cheaper and better service than Europcar.

Posted by
52 posts

We used Europcar out of Frankfurt. We picked the car up in Kelsterbach - just a few kilometers away - thereby saving the 20% airport tax . . . then dropped the car off at the airport when done.

Posted by
177 posts

I recently rented a car thru gemut/Auto Europe. They booked me with Europcar. I will never use Europcar again. They upgraded me to a Mercedes which is not practical on the wee roads of Scotland. Plus they added fuel and insurance charges which were unnecessary. The extra charges to my credit card equaled what I had originally paid Gemut for the rental.

Posted by
126 posts

Just got back with a two week rental. We were upgraded to a 5 seat Citroen, but it was a wonderful car, but the size caused many problems on the tiny, medieval towns we were visiting. It was a diesel and got wonderful mileage. It took us an hour in the heat to figure out how to get the emergency brake off and then the fuel gauge disappeared. We found another rental office and even he couldn't figure it out. Much button pushing later, he found the fuel gauge for us. Button needed 3 clicks not two as you would expect.

From remarks on this website we checked with our credit card company and found out we had insurance coverage. We called Auto Europe and they took the insurance off which saved us about 20% of the rental price. However, they neglected to tell us to pick up the car at Europacar so we messed up half a day because we had to wait until they reopened after lunch. The clerk said she waited 5 minutes for us to arrive, but the train was so late that we couldn't get to the office before it closed.