Please sign in to post.

traffic ticket

We traveled to Italy 10 months ago. Just recently we received notice of a trafic violation in Florence. Supposedly, we entered a historic area without a permit. It orrured within 15 minutes of getting the rental car on our way out of Florence. We would like to appeal this and were told the form must be completed in Italian and if the appeal does not stand we will be charged double. We also must present all backup info but unfortunately we destroyed all that paperwork about 6 months after returning home. This feels a bit "scamish" to us. Have others had similar problems?

Posted by
1201 posts

there are several threads on this on the board. Basically you entered a zone that prohibits traffic to only authorized vehicles from usually residents and those with the proper permits. You and your rental car were photographed by an automated traffic camera. Hard to dispute. the zones are usually clearly marked by signs, you just weren't aware of the meanings.

In addition to the fine, you'll likely get a charge on the credit card you used to rent the car for an administrative fee for the car company to give the authorities your contact information.

Posted by
10344 posts

It's not a scam. Florence City cameras photo one violation per minute, 24/7/365. Hundreds of travelers report here that they've received these, some pay, some don't. No one knows for sure what happens if you don't, does it affect your credit rating, or you arrested once you re-enter the country.

Posted by
8293 posts

And then there is simply the question of personal integrity.

Posted by
32212 posts

Madeline,

"Have others had similar problems?"

YES! It sounds like you've discovered the dreaded Zona Traffico Limitato zones, which are ubiquitous especially in Florence. In order to discourage traffic in the historic centres, some cities have installed automated ZTL Cameras which photograph all license plates. If the vehicle doesn't have the required Permit, a violation ticket is issued.

There's been a fairly substantial discussion on this issue here on the Helpline. You might do a search, as Kent posted an excellent Map that showed the locations of all the Cameras in Florence (I can't remember the title of the Thread, so I'd have to search for it also).

This is not "scammish" as I'm sure lots of Italians (and other European nationalities) get tickets as well.

One point to mention is that Florence is not the only place with ZTL zones. I've seen these in various parts of Italy, including towns in the south.

Posted by
2193 posts

You should consider simply paying the fine and chalking it up as a learning experience. That’s the least expensive and most efficient route. Your only other good option is to contact a local attorney in Florence should you wish to challenge the fine (internet search). I wouldn’t advise anyone to ignore the ticket…why jeopardize your next vacation anywhere in Europe because an outstanding warrant (possible) for something as simple as a traffic violation in Italy.

Posted by
6898 posts

The entire historic area of Florence is one large restricted driving zone. There are clear signs in Italian that warn you when you enter the ZTL (Zona Traffico Limitado). Apprently you did not see the sign and did enter the zone. They immediately get your license plate with computerized cameras. It does take quite some time to track you down. Your rental car company rats you out to the police. Your rental car company may also charge you an administrative cost for doing to work to track you down. It's not a scam.

Posted by
365 posts

Madeline, you will see all kinds of info if you search this topic on the helpline. What you won't see is anyone reporting repercussions of not paying. If you are the kind of person who would rather not worry about what would happen to you if you don't pay, you should pay and be done with it. As a counterbalancing argument, if you feel that the length of time it took to track you down has compromised your ability to appeal, you may feel justified in not paying and in that case it's almost certain that nothing will happen. There are lots of folks who say you should fear something happening to you but this is based on their fears, not verifiable facts. It's difficult for folks in the EU to avoid payment because their governments cooperate with the issuers of these violation notices. The US has no similar arrangement and the Florence authorities will drop the matter after sending a couple of collection letters. This is my experience anyway...I'm not saying anything about someone else's experience.

Posted by
2193 posts

Neil has a point. It’s difficult to articulate with authority the consequences of ignoring the ticket altogether, because they aren’t clear to anyone here or on many other boards discussing this topic on the internet. Minimally, you should expect your case to be turned over to a collection agency should you fail to pay. Who knows what might happen beyond that, if anything? I think we’re all familiar with what would occur here…a warrant would be issued. Your chances of appealing this successfully are infinitesimally small…the cameras enable the authorities to essentially assume you to be guilty unless proven otherwise. If you still believe the fine was levied in error, why not invest a few minutes searching for an attorney or two who might answer a few basic questions via e-mail at no charge? Best of luck!

Neil mentioned fear…anyone recall the movie Midnight Express where Brad Davis’ character was thrown into a Turkish prison? Umm…I’m paying the fine. :)

Posted by
19092 posts

If you want to avoid these scams, don't go to Italy and don't rent a car.

Posted by
1829 posts

It is not a scam, it is an attempt to limit traffic in some very vulnerable towns and cities. People complain about traffic in cities like Rome but imagine what it would be like if the world and his wife were allowed to add to the problem. The vast majority of people fined are Italians. Can't remember the exact figures but something like 80% or more.

Posted by
365 posts

Lee's right. In fact, a good way to avoid difficulties of all stripes is to not travel at all. Or don't DO anything at all...why take a chance? Hey, those billions of TVs out there aren't gonna watch themselves...

Posted by
19092 posts

I'm not saying not to travel. However, we don't have to expose ourselves to unneeded risks. There are other places to go, and other modes of transport, that don't expose you to the risks of driving and traveling in Italy.

In this country it seems that anywhere I go, I have to drive. I was so elated a few years ago when I took German courses at the college in Denver to find I could take the streetcar to class. One of the unique and pleasant experiences of traveling in Europe is your freedom from the car.

Posted by
73 posts

I agree with Norma. It's a question of integrity. Just pay the fine and have a clean conscience and a clean driving record. These fines are legit, so why fight it?

Posted by
2193 posts

Not driving in Italy…I get it. Visiting Italy exposes one to unneeded risks? I don’t get it. Millions of Americans travel every year to places in Europe other than Germany and likely aren’t taking any unnecessary risks in doing so. I certainly don’t feel like I’m doing anything particularly risky when traveling in Germany, Italy, or anywhere else.