Please sign in to post.

Debit Card

We are leaving tomorrow morning for Italy, and our bank just informed us that, due to an error on their part, we will not have a debit card. What are the best alternatives we could use?

Posted by
4132 posts

Ouch! I would scream bloody murder at your bank to make you whole by shipping a debit card express to your hotel in Italy.

Also they could sell you a few hundred euros at the interbank rate, not markup or commission, to tide you over, or at least discounted travelers checks to achieve the same result, and they could agree to pay interest and fees associated with using your credit card for a cash advance. (If they want to express ship you one of their credit cards for this purpose, fair enough.)

Or---ask THEM how THEY propose to resolve the problem. Can they set up funds or a line of credit with an Italian bank for you to use? Express ship you euros every couple of days?

Your bank is A BANK. Money is their business, and they have screwed up. Make them solve it.

Otherwise you are stuck with the cost and inconvenience of travelers checks, I guess.

Posted by
239 posts

That stinks! Maybe you could use your credit card for cash advances while in Italy. While the finance charges for cash advances on most cards are high, you'd pay it off as soon as you got home and had access to your checking account again. Using a credit card for purchases in Italy can be expensive, as merchants are charged a fee and then pass that fee on to customers. Transactions are usually cheaper if done in cash. Getting euro before you go is no longer an option, so it looks like you're getting them in Italy. Getting euro with your debit card is no longer an option, so it looks like you'll need to use your credit card.

As with your debit card, let your credit card company know that there will be withdrawals appearing from Italy.

Posted by
32213 posts

Jim,

I don't suppose you have another debit card on a different account / different bank??? If so, you could transfer all your travel funds from your existing Bank to the other one and hopefully the problem would be solved.

Given that they've admitted the error was "on their part", I believe they should correct the problem ASAP. Perhaps they could FedEx a new debit card to you in Italy? There's no reason your holiday should be complicated by their mistake.

Another alternative would be to make a large payment on your credit card, and then use that for withdrawals. If you have a credit balance, you won't pay the horrendous interest rates that normally apply to cash advances. BE SURE to test the credit card at a local ATM to make sure the PIN is working. Also be sure that the credit card firm is aware that you'll be travelling with the card (usually it's necessary to phone the credit card firm, as this is handled separately from normal Bank functions).

If you have to use the credit card for withdrawals in Italy, I'd certainly pressure them to give you a break on fees!!!

If you're travelling with a Cell Phone, it would make things a bit simpler if they agree to FedEx a card to you, as they won't send the PIN with the new card. You might be able to obtain the PIN by phone.

Good luck and Happy travels!

Posted by
9100 posts

When you arrive at the airport after your transatlantic flight, head to one of the currency exchange desks and purchase a pre-paid debit card. The cards do have some fees attached to them, but IMO it's a better alternative to carrying around lots of cash during the course of your trip. For more info on how they work head here:

http://www.cashpassport.com/us/getting.html

Posted by
283 posts

You were probably involved in a CAM alert. That means that you used your card at a merchant whose files were compromised. The card has to be closed to ensure that fraudulent use of the card would not occur.

I agree that in your special case, the bank should do something to help. The best alternative would be to have the card overnighted to you, in Italy or tomorrow morning at home, depending on your travel plans. But be aware: many financial institutions will only ship a card to you via the address of record. Also, you would have to activate the card on receipt. Check with the bank to ensure that you can activiate the card from a foreign phone. See if they have an 800 number you can call toll free from Italy.

Sorry for your mess--this is bad.

Posted by
780 posts

Eventually maybe more people will do what I do and keep posting about.... bring cash converted into the cash for the country you are visiting. i.e. when I go to London, I bring pound notes. No hassles with ATMs, fees, mix ups, store not accepting non chip card, etc.

Yes I suppose it is risky since I could lose it/get mugged but that can still happen if you withdraw cash at the ATM. I just dont look touristy.

Posted by
2745 posts

And for those of you thinking "Gee Tami has a good idea"

Day 1 in London.... the woman I was traveling with LOST her wallet. Maybe it was stolen, who knows. $10,000 in traveler's checks.

(It was for a group trip)

We did get the funds back, but when your cash is "lost" it's GONE! So if you can afford to lose it all then take it in cash, if not...consider alternatives.

Posted by
4555 posts

Tami...you're why travellers' cheques were invented, and since superseded by ATMs. I wouldn't carry that much cash around at home!

Posted by
780 posts

It's simple, and please dont be offended if you're overly "PC": I keep it in my bra. It isnt going anywhere. lol. I usually go for a week long vacation with 300 pounds cash. I pre-pay my hotel on my Visa card before my trip. I'm not talking about a HUGE amount of cash. I travel very cheaply. I do carry a Visa card with me as well and leave my other at the hotel. That way, if something happens to my cash and/or my Visa card, I have funds available still.

People always talk about withdrawing large amounts each time once you get to your location,to save money on ATMS (instead of taking out small amounts and paying fees each time) so yea, you are still going to be carrying cash with you no matter what. Rick Himself even recommends getting larger amounts to avoid more fees at the ATMs.

At least I'm not paying all those fees and I buy the notes when the rate is low.

People always have issues with cards:
Not working because of bank issues,
Not working because it has no chip,
Not working at ATM machine or being eaten, etc.
I avoid getting reamed with large conversion fees/crappy conversion rates.

No one has to do what I do. I just always mention it as a possibility becuase so many people seem to think that credit cards and debit cards are something to fully depend on and I dont live that way. I do have them in case, but I havent had to use them yet.

Just giving an opinion. Not mandating it. lol.

I have been to London twice and havent lost a pence yet. I have had my purse opened in a busy tube station but they got nothing.

Posted by
14 posts

If the bank can't make it right for you, when you return, change banks and tell them why.