Please sign in to post.

Europe in October

My daughter and I arrive in Paris on Oct. 1st and we leave from Dublin on Oct 28th. Other than that, we are completely open. What are recommendations for this once in my lifetime trip? She is college grad and frugal and I am old enough to order off the back of a Denny's menu. We don't mind hostels and public transport, better to catch the local flavor...

"edited" I'm thinking it would probably be wise to take a loop around from Paris to Germany, south to Italy and then work our way back to Dublin. Maybe catch Barcelona on the way back.

Any suggestions are welcome. My "Backdoor to Europe" just arrived and I will spend the next few days reading and learning.
Regards,
--Craig Miller aka Coach Grumpy

Posted by
3428 posts

Personally, I'd loop the other direction- Paris, London, York, Edinburgh, Inverness, Wales, then Ireland. What are your interests? That would help us make suggesstions that are a better "fit" for you and your daughter.

Posted by
32212 posts

Craig,

Europe Through The Back Door will provide you with a lot of great information not only to help with planning but also how to travel efficiently. I suspect you'll have more questions for the group here once you've finished reading it.

I normally plan two things very precisely - transportation and lodgings. You'll probably have a bit more flexibility with lodgings in October, as Europe won't be quite as busy.

Your trip is a bit under a month, and I'd suggest not trying to fit too many destinations in, and avoid one-night stops as much as possible. Also, most importantly try to plan a logical route with no "backtracking" and allow adequate travel time between locations. You can work out the travel details once you have somewhat of an "order of cities" worked out.

It would help to know what countries / cities you're interested in visiting? It's difficult to offer suggestions on which type of "loop" is better without having some idea which countries will be included?

Hostels are a good plan for lodgings, but you might consider budget Hotels also as they're often not much different in price. Rick lists lots of choices in his books along with a "$" rating for the price. There are better listings in the country-specific books, as opposed to the general books such as Best of Europe. On longer trips, I tend to "mix" accommodations. As I travel solo, I find Hostels area great for the company, but I like some privacy at times too. I'm probably in the same age group as you, and haven't had any problem with staying in Hostels. I tend to prefer HI properties, but have stayed at independent Hostels also.

Good luck with your planning!

Posted by
5 posts

Thanks to all for the pm's and replies. Now that my daughter has arrived home from her internship, we are starting to narrow down our choices.

Italy will be a big part of the trip, Rome, Pompei, maybe Florence and Venice. Ireland will be our ending point so a few days there to visit. Maybe Portugal and southern Spain. A couple of days in big cities for the obligatory museums, but we'd rather spend time in smaller villages and countryside soaking up the flavor of local people and customs.

regards,
--Craig

Posted by
12172 posts

I prefer to head South of the Alps in October but I also like to keep my destinations in the same ballpark.

If you do a big route, get the Northern part out of the way first so you get the best possible weather.

Late October in Italy is great. North of the Alps may be okay in early October but there's a pretty good chance it will be cold by late October.