Please sign in to post.

driving in germany

Are the street signs in english and if not can they be understood? do you need an international drivers licence? we wantto go from munich to Fussen. Suggesstions?.

Posted by
10344 posts

Many travelers find that driving in Germany is way easier (and faster) than driving in some other places in Europe (parts of Italy come to mind).

Posted by
337 posts

Re: International Driver's Permit:

"For international driving licences no translation is required.

You will need a translation to accompany your national driving licence if
- your national licence was not issued by a member state of the EU or a member of the EEA (Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway) or
- your licence is in a language other than German or
- your licence does not comply with the Convention on Road Traffic of 8 November 1968 (Annex 6). Contact the relevant authorities in the country of issue to find out whether this is the case."

Source: German Federal Ministry of Transportation

So for people with non-EU, non-EEA, non-German language, non-Convention on Road Traffic of 8 November 1968 compliant Driver's Licences, for example Americans, the choice is to supplement the US-DL with eigther a "certified translation" or an "International Driver's Permit". An IDP is usually easier and cheaper to obtain.

Posted by
12040 posts

"Are the street signs in english and if not can they be understood?"

Just follow the signs to Ausfahrt and you'll be fine. OK, I'm kidding. But I'm not really sure what you mean by "in english". Most traffic signs in Europe are meant to be international, and thus, language neutral. Most are different from the US, but not difficult to understand. The biggest difference from the US is that you navigate by the name of the city or town you are driving to, not by the direction of a route number. For example, if you wanted to drive from Nuremberg to Munich on the A9, you wouldn't look for a sign pointing to "A9 South", you would look for the sign for "A9 Munich". As for street signs... well, of course, they'll be in German. But wouldn't it be even more confusing if every "Ludwigstrasse" was translated to "Louis Street"?

"do you need an international drivers licence?" Opinions seem to differ here about if you actually need one. In my experience for most of Europe, no, you don't need one except, I think, in Italy. Besides Italy, I have rented a car in several European countries (and been pulled over in two) and never needed one.

Posted by
19237 posts

Of course street signs are in their language, German, not usually in English. Their stop signs do say "Stop" and look like ours.

If you are going to drive in Germany, learn German.

There are very convenient train connections from downtown Munich to Füssen and a bus meets the train and takes you in a few minutes to Hohenschwangau.

I've spent 14 weeks traveling in Germany in the last 9 years and never needed a car.

Posted by
182 posts

Hi Carolyn

Just returned a week ago from a trip that involved driving in Germany and Austria. I was quite nervous and a bit apprehensive prior to the trip (as many on this site will vouch for), and this was even after many had told me how simple it would be.

Low and behold, it was rather simple. The driving in both countries was not difficult at all. We found that while all signs were written in English, but obviously the names are of the towns, streets, or highways were what they are, but easily understood and actually less confusing than some of the signs you find here in the states. Thankfully, we were lucky to not encounter a "Stau" (major traffic jam) as my good friend Jo from Frankfurt warned us about, so I hope you don't either.

Have a good map and/or navigation device to make it real easy. Most main roads/highways are numbered and easy to find for entering or exiting.

My research showed that Germany didn't require and international drivers license but Austria did. Frankly for the cheap cost (I think is was about $20 at AAA), I'd get one anyway.

One thing about Autobahn driving that we found out on our first foray onto it, use the right lane at all times unless to pass. While this sounds simple, I mean this for all Autobahns including the ones with more than 2 lanes. For instance, on a 3 lane highway I'm used to settling into the middle lane (like I'm sure many others are in the US). This is not liked there and I had a driver come up behind me in the middle lane, flash his lights and then pass me and go around me and back to the far right lane. Got the hint and never left the right lane after except to pass.

Posted by
485 posts

I was born in Germany but grew up in the US, going back every few years to visit distant relatives. Even today, in my 40's and fairly fluent in German, I am apprehensive about driving there. When my mom (who's 66) and I travel there she likes to drive and I read the signs and make sure we're not going the wrong way down a one-way street.

My main problem is not the language of the signs but the actual symbols on them and what they mean, as they are different than in the US. The second challenge I have is that driving through little 'dorfs' and villages can be tricky because many roads are still narrow and cobblestoned, with one-way streets, and horrible parking.

Also, Germans (being the efficient, organized people that they are) are not very patient with people who appear to be dilly-dallying because they're not sure where they're going.

On one family trip I had my husband drive and I read the map and the signs; it worked out great. I know, however, that I will one day have to get over myself and drive in Germany.

Posted by
2297 posts

Not sure where Lee got the idea that you'd need to learn German before you can drive a car in Germany. I do speak German better than any other language but my husband who doesn't speak German is still a better driver than me - no matter which country we're driving.

You do need to learn the meaning of the street signs as they are different from the Northamerican ones but those symbols are as another poster mentioned so nicely "language neutral". Here's a good site to check up on those:

http://www.gettingaroundgermany.info/zeichen.htm

As to driving on the Autobahn: yes, it is extremely important to understand that you drive on the right lane unless you pass. One of the reasons for this: it is illegal to pass on the right! Especially on the Autobahn this would get you a hefty fine and demerit points. Considering the differences in speed with trucks not allowed to go beyond 90 and some others going +200 km/h this is how it has to work.

Are you going to rent a car? Or is somebody giving you a free loan? Cause if this trip from Munich to Fussen is the only one you think about using a car to drive you really don't need to rent one. Taking the train would be a much more reasonable option. And if your idea is to experience a drive on the Autobahn this destination wouldn't give you that experience either, you'd better pick a different route for that.

Posted by
12313 posts

Germany is easy to drive in. The roads are well maintained and the signage is logical. Even if you don't speak German, signs get you to the city center and public parking efficiently. After touring, signage will get you back to the autobahn of your choice.

The biggest thing is to stay out of the left lane (except to pass another car quickly and get over). Unlike the US, the fast lane is for passing only and people will get mad.

Posted by
12040 posts

"The biggest thing is to stay out of the left lane". Just watch. That Mercedes or Porsche that you see far behind you in your rearview mirror... within seconds, it will be hundreds of meters ahead of you.

Posted by
100 posts

Hi Carolyn,
German's are some of the best driver's in Europe. As mentioned above, be sure that if you are in the left lane, it is strictly for passing, never cruising. As soon as you have passed the vehicle, get right back into the right lane.

Although the road signs are in German, they are fairly easy to understand. I have attached a website that lists all of the road signs. Get familiar with them and you will be fine. When I lived in Germany and was preparing to get my drivers license, I was afraid that I wouldn't remember the signs or would get confused, but they were quite easy to learn and are pretty self explanatory, especially in cities.

One thing to remember, if you come to a 4 way stop, the person to your right has the right-of-way, it isn't first come first serve that most American drivers are used too.

Enjoy your trip!

Amanda

http://www.gettingaroundgermany.info/zeichen.htm

Posted by
10548 posts

Driving in Germany was easy, but one thing I did learn the hard way - impossibly small cobblestone streets are okay to drive on. We arrived in Fussen and it took us an hour to find our hotel, even though we had directions and there are signs pointing to the various hotels. We kept driving in circles and we could see the back side of the hotel, but couldn't figure out how to get to the front. Finally, I saw a car driving on what I thought was pedestrian street. We went down the street and there it was!

When we arrived in Rothenburg I remembered the cobblestone street lesson and we found our hotel there right away.