Please sign in to post.

Packing Light

Can a woman really travel for 6 weeks in Europe with only a daypack and another carry on-sized pack? On my last two trips I took a large suitacase with wheels and a daypack, but I would like to travel lighter. What is really adequate?

Posted by
28 posts

According to Rick Steves, packing for five months is the same as packing for five days.

You will definitely be able to do it (with saving room for souvenirs) but you should only pack the bare essentials. Check out Rick's packing list and philosophy: http://www.ricksteves.com/plan/tips/packlight.htm

Posted by
683 posts

Sara has taken 3 trips to Europe and another to South America ( from 1.5 to 6 months in duration) and has carried a backpack of about 15 lbs. as her only luggage.So, yes, it can be done.

Posted by
21 posts

Thanks for the replies so far. One more question: what do you do with souvenirs? Do you ship them home every couple weeks?

Posted by
213 posts

About the souvenirs: Yes, in some countries/cities mailing souvenirs home works. On occasion in Germany, Switzerland, and Austria I've had the store where I made my purchase also pack and ship the item home. I've never had a problem with this. In other countries, like Italy, the cost of mailing is almost prohibitive and the mail is unreliable. I pack a small (20-25 liter--1200-1500 cu.in.) daypack inside my carry-on. (My camera bag is my personal bag that fits under the seat ahead of me.) For my return home, I check my carry-on and then carry on the camera bag and the daypack with souvenirs. Other people pack a duffle bag in their carry-on for bringing home souvenirs on their return trip.

Posted by
180 posts

My wife traveled for 3 1/2 weeks in Europe with one carry-on sized Eagle Creek pack weighing 21 lbs - my back was a pound heavier! We had to do laundry, but we both had everything we needed and could have went on for another month (easily).

For souvenirs, we consider it a challenge to find small and light items. Our souvenirs are mostly pictures and a few clothes, but we make it a point to spend something equal to 5 euros on something in each major city. For example, we have a mini London snow globe, a 6 inch high David and a mini Eiffel Tower all on our mantle. They were light, cheap and are great conversation starters.

Plus chocolate. My wife always goes on a chocolate run the day before we leave and we stuff our packs past the weight max and then, if we have to, share/bribe the airline staff.

Pete

Posted by
689 posts

Why not just use a carry on sized wheeled bag? You should be able to travel for any length of time with that--just do laundry, either in your sink or at a laudromat, or have your hotel do it. Actually sometimes I've chosen certain hotels or b and b's mid-trip because they had self service laundry facilities. Isn't the daypack small, meant for carrying your stuff during the day? I also bring a small messenger style purse that fits a guidebook and my wallet.

I use a small wheeled bag, not stuffed full and with the zipper zipped to its smallest size, that I carry on going there. Then I can expand the zipper and have room to bring back wine and chocolate (or occasionally an item of clothing I've bought), which I put in the suitcase and check for the way back. I really don't bring back other souvenirs--I suspect that most of us that travel light don't.

Posted by
1819 posts

Yesterday, I weighed my carry-on wheeled bag. It weighs 7 pounds, therefore not much weight left for the contents. So, I went to Ross and bought a Baggallini nylon carry-bag. It weighs 1.5 pounds and holds enough clothes for a week. You might want to consider something like that or a duffle bag, if you are intent on traveling light.

Posted by
1358 posts

Before my last trip, I was given a gift certificate to Magellan and bought some packing cubes and a compression bag. I'm a HUGE fan of these now. I got a large packing cube and 2 small ones, and fit all of mine and my daughter's clothes into them.

I used the compression bag on the way back to make room for souvenirs. I put all of our dirty clothes into it and smushed 'em flat.

Posted by
12172 posts

The best advice I've heard is pack for four days whether you're going for a weekend or a month. All you need are a few changes of clothes. Keeping the toiletries to only the basics helps too. If you need anything else, there are stores everywhere that sell it.

If all your clothes are mix and match, you can get 15 outfits out of five tops and three bottoms. Yes you will get bored with the clothes you pack. When you get home you can bury them in the closet for awhile.

I wouldn't aim for a carry-on plus a daypack. Make it a carry-on only and pack a daypack inside for the days you aren't traveling. It's easier and more secure to only have one item to keep track of.

Posted by
312 posts

I wouldn't aim for a carry-on plus a daypack. Make it a carry-on only and pack a daypack inside for the days you aren't traveling. It's easier and more secure to only have one item to keep track of.

What Brad wrote. The strap for a purse/daypack, the strap for the carry-on, hang on to a coat (usually). Argh! I have not achieved walking out of the house with one bag, but it definitely is still a goal.

Things you need: clothes with pockets! Button/zipped pockets allow storing a bit of cash or one credit card while the rest are in your moneybelt/secret wallet.

Happy travels :-)

Posted by
3428 posts

I can do an around the world trip (more than 3 weeks) with a carry-on (rick's old style convertable bag) that will weigh less than 15lb fully packed. My hubby's will weigh less than 10lb. We share a day bag and both wear waist packs. Look at Rick's packing lists and OneBag is a very good site, too as mentioned above. In addition to what I wear, I take 2 to 3 pair of pants, 3 to 4 T shirts, 2 or 3 button up,"big shirts" to use a layers or alone, a windbreaker type jacket, socks, underware and toiletries. I also carry all our meds, first aid and sewing kits, etc. In the day bag, which can go inside suitcase if needed, are kleenex, nail clippers and emery board, a small eyeglass screwdriver kit, notepad and pen, my sketchbook and pencils, baby powder and tiny first aid kit and sewing kits.

Posted by
41 posts

I traveled for almost a month with one lightweight wheeled carry-on size suitcase (with expandable top, though I never needed it), one empty zipped totebag in the bottom of the suitcase for multipurpose uses, & one purse that could be unzipped at the bottom to expand it. Never needed a daypack. Take enough clothes for 3 days & do sink laundry regularly, you'll be fine! Your back will thank you for not taking more.

Posted by
73 posts

Honestly, this all comes down to the laundry. How often do you want to wash your clothes? What's your tolerance for wearing something numerous times before washing it? Only you can answer these questions. I hate wearing dirty clothes (and if I've worn it for a day and sweated in it, it's "dirty"), so I bring a packet of washeze (dry detergent-impregnated sheets you can use to wash laundry in sinks or washers), a Magellan clothes line and a sink stopper. This allows me to follow Rick's 5 days for any length of trip rule and not be miserable.

Of course, my favorite travel accessory is a washer and dryer in the place where I'm staying, but the hotel sink is fine in a pinch.

Posted by
421 posts

As someone who use to overpack I can tell you it is freedom to pack light.
Every trip I pack lighter and lighter. This next trip will be the lightest. There are some pretty extreme packers out there and I don't think I could ever get that minimal but I estimate my Tom Bihn Tristar will weigh in about 20 lbs with my lap top.

Also taking a messanger style camera bag. Partner is taking a 19 inch roller bag.

I have to say this is the first time I will be going wheel free and I am very excited about it....I love the look of the tristar!

Posted by
32219 posts

bluedenim,

Be sure to let us know how your "light" travel method works out in reality. I'm also looking at trying the "one bag" method, but like you it will probably be two bags as I'll be taking Camera gear as well. Which "messenger style" Camera bag are you using?

I looked at the TriStar but concluded that I prefer the layout of the Air Boss so that's probably the one I'll be going with. Now if I could only decide which colour to order! It's unfortunate that the Air Boss doesn't have backpack straps, but I can adjust to that.

I'll probably try the "light travel" method on domestic trips first, and once I become comfortable with it I'll use it for European trips as well.

The biggest challenge of light travel is the limit with the size of toiletries. The small tubes of toothpaste only last for a couple of days, so it means planning a shopping trip soon after I arrive. The same situation for soaps, etc. The local travel store here has some of the small "sheets" of dry soap, shampoo, conditioner, laundry detergent, etc. but I've never used them so not sure how many would be required for an average wash (or whatever). They also have the small packages of Woolite, but they're liquid soap so not sure if they'd make it through security?

Cheers!

Posted by
1819 posts

If you put aside basic items (black pants, jeans, solid colored t-shirts, underwear, walking shoes, etc.) just before you are ready to replace them, you can save them for travel. Wear these as often as possible while on vacation, then recycle them or throw them away. No laundry and your bag gets lighter if you can resist buying souvenirs.

Posted by
1994 posts

I've done it easily, in one winter trip visiting both Egypt (hot) and northern Italy (really cold). Pick one dark color for most of your clothes, with scarves and costume jewelry to liven it up. Only bring things you like and will wear repeatedly--it's not like you'll see the same people each day, and even if you do, so what? Fleece weighs almost nothing and compresses easily, as does silk or synthetic long underwear. Layers let you span hot to cold weather. Plan to pick up tee shirts/scarves/shawls for wearing and later keepsakes. I bring synthetics, which dry quickly, and do a little laundry every other night. In winter, I just bring the walking shoes I wear on the plane (plus flip-flops for showers); in summer, I add a pair of walking sandals. Contact lens cases are a great way to pack small amounts of lotions/creams. And while I've been warned against it, I've never had problems transferring Rx drugs to tiny containers, and attaching the Rx label to a sheet of paper... but I guess there is the risk they'll be confiscated; it's just the original bottles are so bulky I take the chance. And I always bring a very light, collapsable nylon bag (eg, Bagalini), which I can use for souveniers and breakables on the way home (when I check my main suitcase if I'm tired and don't feel like carrying it... who cares if my laundry gets mis-routed for a few days?). Have fun!

Posted by
1449 posts

Ken, I bring a small (3oz) bottle filled with antibacterial dishwashing soap. Great for doing synthetic underwear and clothes in the sink, hang them on a travel line like Rick sells and they're dry in the morning. Maybe I don't use enough, but a travel size tube of toothpaste lasts me a week, plenty of time to find a store and buy more. Hotels have bottles of shampoo and soap in the bathroom; its not my favorite brand, but the stuff more or less works.

Posted by
15200 posts

Ken, I'd like to know what you preferred in the layout of the Air Boss over the Tristar. (I have a Tristar and they are pretty much the same only the Tristar has backpack straps and is a little lighter.

The only real difference I see is the front pockets.

I'm a "one bag" traveler and have no problems with small toiletries. I've replaced a lot of the "liquid" stuff with solids. Shaving Oil instead of foam/gel; solid deodorant over gel;, Small toothpaste last longer than you think since most people use more toothpaste than is necessary (according to my dentist.). I also use the hotels soap and shampoo.

Security probably won't give you a hassle with Woolite packets. I use RS travel wash and it can last a few weeks. Campsuds is another brand that can last awhile. You don't need much. (I have the Travelon laundry "sheets" that come in the little plastic pack. They smell a little too "flowerly" for my liking.

When you only have one bag to think about in airports, train stations, etc.....you'll never go back.

Posted by
32219 posts

Frank II,

For reasons I can't articulate, I just prefer the design of the Air Boss over the TriStar. To summarize a few of the deciding factors:

• The Air Boss is slightly larger (2340 vs 2000). I'd like that small amount of extra room.

• The zippers on the Air Boss can be secured if necessary. I don't like the design of the three zippers on the front of the TriStar. They show a Passport stored in one of the pockets, and I told them that the fact these can't be locked is a "deal breaker" for me.

• I would have liked the option of Backpack straps that the TriStar provides, but I can manage without them. I believe Red Oxx tried to add these to the Air Boss, but the concept just didn't work for that particular product (the Sky Train provides that feature).

I suppose it's mostly just my personal preferences and "gut feeling" on what I believe will be best for my style of travel.

Regarding toiletries, I've noticed lately that a lot more "budget" Hotels are providing soap and shampoo, so perhaps this won't be a problem. I could always buy some of the Travelon "soap sheets" for those occasions where the Hotel doesn't provide any.

I probably won't buy any Woolite for a while, as I've still got several bottles of RS Travel Soap to use.

I'll probably have a twinge of nostalgia the first time I head to Europe without my venerable Eagle Creek Backpack, but travelling with carry-on only will sure be nice! No more waiting at the baggage carousel for half an hour or more for my Pack to appear (for some reason, it's always among the last of the luggage to get to the carousel).

Cheers!

Posted by
14 posts

As a theatre teacher I found many items not available in the States. My first trip to Europe lasted 6 weeks so at the end, we purchased a cheap suitcase at a street market, packed it with the extras we had purchased and just checked it at the airport. We did carry-on for our personal luggage.

Posted by
24 posts

Hey Lisa,

Just did 4 weeks with a carry-on. The trick is in bringing clothes with multiple purposes. The more versatile the better. Pants that dress up or down, that roll up to cargos or full length for cold weather. I also brought small things like a vest and small cardigan for layers and to change the look of outfits. Admittedly, I brought more clothes than people recommend but it's amazing how much you can fit in a carry on. Half of the carry on was clothes, the other half toiletries, shoes (my feet get tired of the same pair), purse, room for presents etc.

Posted by
21 posts

Nora,
Which carry-on did you use? I have been looking at several models: the Eagle Creek Thrive 65L or the Switchback 22 (a carry-on with wheels), and the Rick Steves convertible carry-on.Does anyone out there have any absolute recommendations....the sites that sell them always have testimonials, but it`s hard to decide what features are absolutely necessary.
Thanks!

Posted by
16 posts

I just got an Osprey Porter 46.. it's a perfect little bag and it has tons of internal room.. back and waist straps.. and it weights only 3lbs.. at $99 it wasn't a bad deal at all..

Posted by
2788 posts

My wife and I go to Europe every summer for a month. She takes a RS convertible pack, the kind that can be worn as a backpack, and I take a RS 21/22" roller pack. In each, we carry over a lightweight, folded up duffel bag. We pack all of out clothes into the duffel bag when headed home and put any souvenirs or hard stuff into our carry ons and check the duffel bags. I use to have to pay for overweight baggage every time I went to Hawaii, but my first trip to Europe involved a RS tour so I HAD TO pack light. It did help to take his "Packing Light" class two times - it should be available elsewhere on this web site. As an earlier poster said, we pack lighter every year, leaving something home and buying whatever we need in Europe. Happy travels.

Posted by
24 posts

Hi Lisa,

You know, I just took my old carry-on because I knew I was going to trash it. Which, I did. Europe still lacks elevators and escalators at a lot of metro stops. It's nothing special or fancy - doesn't expand or anything. Not sure how much it weighs, but the weight filled with clothes, shoes, toiletries, etc was 12kg (about 20lbs). Unfortunately, too heavy for Ryan Air so I did have to check it. Fine everywhere else. Still light enough to lift over my head.

Posted by
421 posts

Hey Ken I did a mock pack of the tristar and I have to say I really love the design. I too considered Red oxx but the deal breaker for me was not having the optin of the backpack straps. I figued since I will also have a small messenger camera bag I might like the option of having versatility of both backpack and shoulder.

The aboslute strap is awesome from what I can tell.
I have heard otehr red oxx people buying it instead.

As for the pockets in the front yes they can not be locked but at the same time anything of real value if I need to I willlock in the one of the other compartments. I plan to keep my liquid bag in one of those, as well as guide books, and stuff that I do not need to worry about.

Also the other thign I love about the tristar as it will fit on the even the most strictest airlines out there!!!!

I use woolite in the past but never thougth about the size of the packages getting past security. I sure hope so... I will have to check and see how many ounces they are.

Posted by
129 posts

i use rick’s classic bag as my main bag and put that in the over head bin and use the appenzell day pack for all my other other odds and ends that i want to have with me at all times and just keep that under my seat…i have not checked a bag in years…i also store along the smaller lighter civita day bag so when i reach my destination i just use that when i am out site seeing etc etc…whether i am gone for days or a few weeks that is all you need...

Posted by
59 posts

Regarding the travel size toothpaste. Silly I know, but we can get at least 24 uses per tube. They weigh .85oz or 24 grams. How much do you use per brushing?

Posted by
4555 posts

Cheryl...an interesting question. The longest I've been away since the fluid restrictions has been three weeks, and a new small tube has lasted me fine. But I always find people seem to use far more toothpaste than necessary anyway...probably conditioned by the actors we see on TV ads, covering their toothbrushes with the stuff. If you have time, maybe consider trying a small tube yourself at home over the next couple of weeks...and let us (or at least me) know the outcome.

Posted by
676 posts

Frank II-I always thought my solid deodorant was considered a "liquid" and had to go in my quart baggie. I guess because mascara is considered a "liquid" also. So I can now put it with my non-liquids???

Posted by
253 posts

Take enough to fill one of those reversable backpack/luggage bags, plus a daypack for walking tours. Amounts to two pairs of pants, three daily shirts plus a heavier long sleeve shirt to use as a coat at times, up to four/five pairs of undies and socks, one pair of good walking shoes for the whole trip, a rain slicker that folds up nice, and a plan of doing lots of laundary every night, so shirts and pants should dry quick.

As for toiletries - that is personal, but I take a razor but no shaving cream at all - soap is fine with me. Deoderant, but I have bought this locally. I take about three of those little tubes of tooth paste the dentist is always giving me and toss them as I use them. I usually have part of one left after tree weeks. I fill up a little squeeze bottle with my own shampoo from home and pack a good bar of soap in its own container. A roll of 2-ply sans the cardboard roll for those days you never hope to experience when out and about.

Some electrical converters if needed, and a medicine kit with all the fixings. Pharmacies in Europe are very helpful for the local ailments.

Posted by
3428 posts

Elaine- It depends on your particular TSA agent at the screening point. Some think it is a gel, some a solid. You decide if you are willing to gamble- you can purchase more after the gate or at your destination if needed. Personally, I am hoping the 3-1-1 stuff will soon "go bye-bye". Saw a 60 min. story where some people in the "industry" think it might!

Posted by
15200 posts

Elaine--a solid is a solid...Like a bar of soap--as long as the deodorant says "solid" you shouldn't have a problem

However...a few TSA people like to make up or interpret rules their own way. Even if they are wrong, they are right because they can make your life miserable. No supervisor I have ever heard about has ever sided with the passenger. TSA itself has never sided with a passenger. So, you are at the mercy of the TSO at security. If he/she is professional, you will have no problem. If you find the one on the power trip, pray they don't want more.

Posted by
21 posts

Toothpaste is kind of like Brill Creme (dating myself) - a little dab'l do ya. My dentist confirmed that.

Same for shampoo - I have lonnnnnng hair; when I showed the woman who "does" my hair how much shampoo I use, she almost choked. Then she showed me how little it really takes to get my hair and scalp squeaky clean.

Commercials always show extravagant usage - they want you to use too much so you will buy more more more!

Travel sizes can last a long time if I am prudent.

Posted by
25 posts

My wife and I go to Europe every 2 years. Our 1st time, we packed to kill with everything we hought we would NEED. The 2 suitcases were heavy (45 lbs each)..Now we go with only a backpack. We will be going to Italy in 3 weeks for 2 weeks and the backpack weighs just 14 pounds. My wifes is heavier at 16 pounds. We do the laundry at the 7 day period and are much happier. We carry on and its a breeze to clear customs. I hope this helped...See Ricks pack light section

Posted by
119 posts

We spent 3 1/2 weeks in Germany and France with one backpack each, including my teenage daughter. It did expand over the course of the trip, as we bought things along the way.

We went to a flea market in Germany and bought a cheap rolling suitcase to hold swords the kids bought. My son also bought a huge sword in Rothenburg, they gave him a box for it and we checked it with our bags at the end of the trip. We carried everything as carryons going, but on the return trip I really didn't want to lug my backpack another minute so I checked it too as did the kids.

I also bought Christmas ornaments and a cookoo clock that I just had the stores ship home to me. Kind of expensive but less hassle for me. My daughter and I had two carry ons (canvas shopping bags) with a few items in them as carry ons by the end of the trip. I never did use my R.S. civita bag and fold away tote. I probably would've but along the way we found a couple cute shopping bags. ( :

It is a hassle having to do laundry, though.

Posted by
43 posts

Lisa, I can't emphasize Rick's advice enough!! Pack lighter than light! You don't need all that stuff. Next time I will take 2 or 3 capri pants (one black in case need to dress for night out), 2 or 3 short-sleeve, comfortable tops, a lightweight jacket, 2 pair of shoes (one is my black Lindsay Phillips Switch Flops with several switches including black with rhinestones if I need to dress at night), 3 pair underwear, and bare essential toiletries. You can buy a scarf in Europe to "dress-up" the black pants and have it as a souvenir! I will take my notebook computer in a purse-size backpack. It will all go in a backpack. I will also take my mailbag purse (it holds a LOT of day trip stuff including my camera and collapsible tripod. For day trips I will wear my small backpack with my notebook and my mailbag purse. Of course, I will wear a moneybelt! I will also take tote bags that fold up to the size of a wallet for both my husband and me. Gifts and souvenirs will go in our backpacks along the way. Most of my gifts will be bought at the end of our trip, and carried in the fold-up tote bags back home. You can buy anything extra you might need once you get to Europe!! (Except prescription meds). One thing I do advise...take a couple of facecloths/washcloths if you can't live without them, as you will NOT find them in Europe, for the most part. We took the net wash sponges that come with the short rope and they worked great because you could hang them & they were dry the next morning. Rick's clothesline is another lifesaver. Some ziplock bags are also helpful for brochures/souvenirs, receipts, and numerous other uses. Throw in your itinerary, tour vouchers, railpass, passport, hotel confirmations, insurance card, ATM cards (the ONLY way to go now!), credit card, driver's license, a little emergency cash, and you are ready to go! Leave copies of everything with someone at home who can fax if needed. Many men wear shorts in Europe, but very few women. Have fun!