Please sign in to post.

Winter in Provence??

Has anyone been to Provence around Christmas time? We are planning a trip during Christmas, hoping to stay in Arles, visit Avignon, Nimes, Pont du Gard, etc. Any suggestions or recommendations or just general info on wintertime in Provence?

Posted by
10344 posts

"Provence is famous for its bone-chilling winters when the wind blows. Winter travel is OK in Nice and Avignon, but you'll find smaller cities and villages buttoned up tight."(Rick Steves, Provence & Riviera)

Posted by
150 posts

Generally speaking, the coastal areas are relatively balmy, and the inland areas (in the hills and mountains) can get quite cold. In the summertime it’s the other way around, cooler by the sea and stifling inland. Something to do with the geography.

Posted by
233 posts

I spent a week in Avignon and Nice just this past Christmas (December 2008). I flew into Nice, took the TGV to Avignon, stayed in Avignon 3 nights, visited the Pont du Gard, Nimes, and Arles on a minibus tour from Provence Reservation, took the train back to Nice, and spent three nights there, and toured around the Riviera region by bus. It was chilly and rainy most of the time in Provence (I only took a fleece and raincoat--wish I'd taken my winter coat), but I loved it and would go again at Christmas. I wish I'd gone to Orange instead of Arles, but that's me.