Please sign in to post.

Non-touristy restaurants in Rome

1. Looking for a good restaurant with local cuisine (non-touristy) to take a group of 25 - 35 cruisecritic folks the night before our cruise.

2. Looking for recommendations for ourselves of nice restaurants (again non-tourist type) that we shouldn't miss in Rome.

Thanks.

Posted by
446 posts

Many years ago I was in Rome and ate at the restaurant, Alfredo's, that claims they invented the famous Fettuccine Alfredo -- that fettucine with the "tripple butter" sauce that some people have described as a "heart attack on a plate" (but, it's SO good!).

I don't know if Alfredo's is still in business, or whether it is still worth it, but I enjoyed it at the time, and as a recall, it wasn't terribly expensive. But, that was 1970 or so...

It is undoubtedly "tourist," with photos of famous movie stars on the walls who supposedly have eaten there. But, I liked the food, and the local white wine they served was great.

Probably best to leave this just as a nostalgic memory -- it might be a tourist ripoff today. But, check it out.

Posted by
3428 posts

Why don't you check out the "Mouthwatering Italy" section on the Graffiti Wall on this board. It seems to have lots of suggesstions for good places and where to avoid.

Posted by
23557 posts

I think the bigger problem is finding a restaurant that will take all 35 of you. You will suddenly turn a non-touristy into a very touristy place. Does the group have to eat together. Part of the charm of eating in the local places are the locals. You will have displaced them all.

Posted by
7 posts

Thanks Toni and Tyler for your suggestions. Will definitely check out "Mouthwatering Italy".

Frank, we will have 5 days to eat with the locals which we intend to do. Our group from the Cruise Critic rollcall definitely do want to eat together so we can all get to meet each other before our cruise. Did it last year in Barcelona (20 of us) and had a wonderful time at an old Spanish tavern, La Taverna Marguerite.