Please sign in to post.

B&Bs in Rome

We are planning on staying at two B&Bs (highly rated by Trip Advisor) in Rome. Both do not accept credit cards and state that we must do a bank transfer of one night's deposit to their account before they will send confirmation. Is this a standard and safe thing for us to do? They also require a cash payment up front upon arrival. We are just a bit skeptical of these requirements since we will have no protection (that a credit card would give us) should something go amiss.

Thanks for any comments

Posted by
113 posts

I do not have an answer for you, but I suggest you give the names of the B&B's in case someone has personal experience with them.

Posted by
7 posts

Marlu B&B and Vatican Vista B&B. Both sound great BUT still concerned about payment procedure.

Posted by
409 posts

While the cash only policy is fairly typical of B&B's in Italy (something to do with them having to register as a business if they take credit cards, I believe), I have stayed at 5 different B&B's there and NONE required an upfront payment. They usually just hold your reservation with a credit card. Myself, I would be a little uneasy.

Since you asked for any comments, why are you staying at two B&B's in Rome? To me, that means an unnecessary move. With Rome's great transit system, why not just pick one centrally located B&B?

Finally, I can heartily recommend an oustanding B&B (that also doesn't require payment upfront)....Nicolas Inn. If you're not locked in, you might want to see if they have a room available for you. www.nicolassinn.com. Melissa and Francois are the greatest hosts!

Posted by
525 posts

Roy, the website is www.nicolasinn.com -
I tried to look it up and you had two "s"...there is only one. Thanks for the information. I just looked at the website. It is 100 euro for a double.!! Their cancellation policy is rather "strong". 50% of entire cost of stay if you cancel 15-30 days prior to arrival. Make sure your dates are concrete...

Posted by
7 posts

Roy, the reason for two B&Bs is that one is precruise (2 days) and the other is postcruise (4 days). Thanks for the recommendation.

Posted by
409 posts

Thanks for correcting my typo...and sorry for the confusion. We actually paid more than that for the Nicolas Inn - just depends on the time of year. But it does offer an outstanding location, bigger than normal rooms, and English-speaking hosts that can't do enough for you. I'd still consider it.

Posted by
7 posts

I did contact Nicholas Inn (great rating and website) but they were fully booked. Thanks for the suggestion.