Please sign in to post.

Calling home

I am going to need to call Canada while travelling in Paris and London, Belgium, etc. What is the best and cheapest way to do this. Pre paid phone card?

Posted by
4555 posts

Locally-purchased calling cards are usually the way to go to give you the cheapest rate. In some countries, there are a couple of different kinds...make sure you get the one for international calls...it's a cheaper rate. Check out the per-call connection charges to make sure you're not nailed that way. Cards are available in tobacco shops or at newsagents.

Posted by
208 posts

If you are taking a laptop, just load Skype on it before you leave. It is free to load and calls would be about 2cents per minute from Europe to a land line and a little higher to a cell phone. You can prepay $10 and that will last a godd while at those rates. Otherwise a card purchased in Europe is the cheapest way to go.

Posted by
12172 posts

I've had good luck buying pin cards from tobacco/news stands. I buy a card that works in one country, use it, then pick up a new card in the next country.

Posted by
7570 posts

Short of taking a laptop and loading Skype, there are more "call shops" popping up or internet cafes offering VOIP (Internet) calling, usually at a rate rivaling calling cards.