Please sign in to post.

First Trip to Switzerland

I will be travelling for two weeks all over Switzerland in July/August. Is it o.k. to wear for men and women to wear shorts, or is that a big no-no?

Posted by
1883 posts

It's not a no-no, as long as you are neat and the shorts are longer / stylish. In the cities, it's nicer to wear capri pants or a skirt for girls, and pants or shants (that's a European man's capri) for guys.

I think you will find that fewer people are wearing shorts...they are feeling a bit more business casual in dress.

However, if you are hiking, and are in smaller towns, feel free to wear shorts to hike!!

Honestly, it's so hot now a days...a skirt is a better option for women anyway. I wore one in May all over Italy and felt so much nicer, and cooler- it was already hot (the Italians said it was more like July weather) My husband wore longer shorts (to the knee) with sandals...not socks and sandals. He wore polo style shirts, not t-shirts.

Just please...don't wear those silly zip off pant/short things from Ex Officio, Columbia. It's totally labels you as a tourist from the US!

Posted by
23281 posts

We are just back from Luzern and Zurich. We didn't see many men wearing shorts in the cities -- maybe a couple of tourists. But what we thought looked odd was the middle age and older women wearing skirts with hiking boots while hiking on the mountain trails.

Frank P., Centennial, CO

Posted by
769 posts

the locals all wear shorts for hiking - and if youre in the Alps - be a local - go native and wear shorts (the calf-high socks and knickers are very authentic!) Just bring lite-gortex pants/jacket for rain! In the city - the previous posters are correct - wear light pants and let the kids wear shorts. RE: the convertable pants, I personally am a fan of them - but I found the one line from NorthFace that are great for both city and hiking - with hidden pockets and almost look like regular pants (tastefully hidden zip-off sections and dark-to-kakki collors). Used them two years now all over Scaninavia and Germany, and now back to Switzerland in August for the Alps.

Posted by
2 posts

Thank you to all who responded - each response was very helpful!