Please sign in to post.

Christmas in Rome

Ok, it might be a bit early but, when does Rome start decorating for Christmas? We will be in Rome on Nov 30th and leaving on the Dec 1st. (after our cruise). Was just wondering if the city will be decorated or starting to be decorated. I bet that's real pretty.

Posted by
1317 posts

Two years ago, I was in Rome from December 2-8th. There was very little in the way of any Christmas decorations except for the Piazza Navona market until mid-week. We took a day trip to Florence on the 5th (Florence was very decorated) and when we got back, Rome had started putting decorations up everywhere, including a massive tree outside the Colosseum.

One thing that was going on even as early as mid-November, was they set up a life-sized Nativity scene in St. Peter's Piazza. However, the scaffolding stayed up the entire time I was there, so I couldn't see much.

So, I would suggest checking out the Navona market if you can, but based on my experience, I think you will be a hair early for most of the decorations.

Posted by
5 posts

Will there be stores/shops with Christmas ornaments (year round)? When we travel, we by ornaments and then remember our trips when we put up our tree. Which we will be doing a couple of days after we get back. Boy will we be tired. Get home on a Tuesday, off on Wednesday working Thurs & Fri. Decorating house Sat & Sun. That is if we're not still sleeping on the weekend ;o)

Posted by
1317 posts

Good luck with that! I find jetlag hits me harder back home. Makes hitting the ground running around Europe easier, but you definitely pay the piper after.

I don't know any specific shops, but I do recall places that sold ornaments. The Piazza Navona street market had quite a number of stalls selling decorations, and there was also a store around the Vatican area near Via Candia that sold various little items -- ornaments, glass necklaces, kitchen items, etc. If you want a more specific recommendation, try asking Ron, who lives there.

http://www.roninrome.com/about-2/