Please sign in to post.

Pack Light, Don't check

July 4th we leave for LAX to Munich, Germany. We'll pick up our new car there. Since we're not using trains my husband insists on checking his carry on. We have to stand in lines anyway to get our tickets due to security at LAX. Beside the fact that he's going to hold me up, does anyone have other reason's for him to check his bag?
Thank you very much,
Barbara San Diego

Posted by
4 posts

I meant a reason for him NOT to check his bag.
Thanks, Barbara San Diego

Posted by
25 posts

Bags get delayed and lost, especially during busy travel times...

Posted by
808 posts

If you don't check your bag you are in control. Checked bags can be delayed,damaged,lost or stolen. No waiting around for the baggage claim.

Hardcore Travellers don't check their bags, unless they absolutely have to, and usually that's only on the return portion of their trip. Losing your luggage or having it delayed when you are on the final leg, homeward bound, is the lesser of the two evils.

There's a whole new breed of "Carry-on Only Travellers" out there. It can be a challenge at first, but once you go to "Carry-on only" you will love the freedom and never go back!

Posted by
4555 posts

Unfortunately, more and more airlines are putting severe restrictions on the weight limits allowed for carry-ons. Size limits I can understand, but 5kg. weight limits on some airlines mystify me, since the airlines end up paying more to have luggage slung into the cargo holds. Hard core travellers would LOVE to take their bag with them on-board...but airlines are making it much tougher to do that. In your case, Barbara, if you can fit within the carry-on size and weight limits of your airline, carry it on! You save time and cut the risks.

Posted by
513 posts

A great reason not to check your bag is that you have greater control regarding changes to your itinerary. Miss a flight and need to be rebooked? You've got your luggage with you. Have an opportunity to take a later flight for compensation? You've got your luggage with you. No lost luggage woes!

Posted by
3580 posts

Several years ago I was on a flight to Paris. At SFO, while taxiing to the runway, our plane was damaged by a stray luggage truck. Then the tow-vehicle came and its towbar broke, damaging the plane's nose. We were taken off the plane, sent to a hotel, etc. I was one of several who had my luggage with me for the night. Checked luggage for that flight was not released to the passengers and was held to transfer to our replacement plane the next day. It's a rare situation, but I sure was glad I had my own stuff with me overnight. Other times I have experienced one-hour delays at the luggage carousel when picking up checked luggage.

Posted by
36 posts

If only one of you is planning to "carry on," make sure that that person is carrying whatever the other one really can't do without for at least one night: pills, essential toilet articles, pajamas, a change of underwear and socks, or whatever you'll need to make the first night comfortable. It's harder now to be a carry-on purist than it was before "911." Sometimes we check our forbidden items in a small bag, along with an empty day-pack, thus making a virtue of necessity and giving ourselves extra packing space to use when we arrive.

Posted by
1167 posts

The advice about checking in on-line to avoid the line may not be correct. I know that some airlines do not allow on-line check in for international flights.

Posted by
1455 posts

This is a late post since you have already gone, but LAX is a terrible place to stand in line. If you husband were to skip check in, he will realize he can just check in online, go directly to security and avoid a 10, 20 or 30 minutes wait.

Packing light also helps out when you get to your final destination. While the other people are waiting a the carousel, you are on the street, heading to the taxi or subway.

As one person posted, if there's a delay you have your stuff with you. Not stuck in the underbelly of the plane.