Please sign in to post.

backpacks...

Has anyone ever fit the Rick Steve's Classic Back Door Bag under the seat in front of them on the airplane? I am thinking it is going to be too big, and I would be better off with my old college type backpack. Any other tips for packing for a 2 week trip to England in June would be very welcome. Thanks, Jessica

Posted by
12172 posts

It will fit under the seat in front of you although it's not the most comfortable way to travel.

I carry a similar bag (Ebags weekender convertible carry on) and Rick's civita daypack. I put my "airplane" stuff in the civita under my feet and my carry-on in the overhead.

Posted by
32216 posts

Jessica,

The Rick Steves Classic Back Door Pack will probably fit under the seat if the pack is not completely filled. The nice thing about soft-sided luggage is that it's a bit "compressible". However, in order to have at least a bit of room to stretch your feet, it would probably be better stored in the overhead bin. Use a small Daypack (Civita or other) for your "in flight essentials", and place that under the seat.

One aircraft that I used in the past had some kind of "aircraft equipment" taking up much of the room under the seat in front of me, and I could hardly fit my feet in there, so a RS Classic would have been out of the question. Probably wise to prepare for a "worst case scenario".

Happy travels!