Please sign in to post.

Staying in London

Any recommendations for a studio apartment or flat in London for early June? I just want something small, with simple cooking facilities and my own bathroom. Oh, and of course, inexpensive.

Posted by
23297 posts

First, define inexpensive. But remember that London is the most expensive or second most expensive city in the World.

Posted by
8 posts

Hoping to keep it around 40 pounds a night. From what I've researched so far, some places will give a discount for a week's stay. I can forego a kitchen in exchange for breakfast and maybe access to communal cooking facilities. But I must have the private bath.

Posted by
345 posts

I've seen university residence flats (tiny, but own bathroom, kitchenette) at around 45 pounds, but they tend to be booked up many months in advance. I struggled getting one for August, while some places have begun to offer discounts for later in August. For that price, you're looking at very small indeed, and for anything above that you'd have to move away from the centre of London.

I've booked through http://www.wmin.ac.uk/page-5387 but they book up far in advance, and aren't available until mid-June. Most of the places recommended by others on here are far above your listed budget, or if close to your price, are a 15-20min tube ride out of town.

If possible, I'd increase your budget a bit - even an extra $10-20 a night would help and give you some more flexibility.

Posted by
446 posts

With the Pound now at an incredibly low 1.44, I would think you could increase your budget a little!

Posted by
23297 posts

You may need to explain you needs a little better. Are you there to sightsee or other business? That is an very tight budget that may be impractical in London. I seriously doubt if you could find anything like that in the core city. You might find something at the more remote -- outlining areas around London -- would that be acceptable? If you use an outlaying area it will add to your transportation costs if you need to come into the city.

Posted by
1806 posts

Have you thought about a home exchange or hospitality club like Servas? Even private rooms in university housing tend to cost more than 40 GBP per night, as do private rooms in most hostels.

Discounts for stays of a week or more typically only amount to about 5 to 10% off the regular nightly rate.

You could book a bed in a 4-share ensuite hostel room as a back-up plan and then gamble on contacting an apartment owner on a site like VRBO.com and seeing if there are any studios that have not been rented a week or two before you leave. Tell them you are only prepared to pay 40 GBP and see if they will accept your offer.

Chain hotels like Ibis or mom & pop guesthouses might have a room with a twin bed or a not-so-great view that they are willing to let go for a cheaper rate. The only way to find out is to call directly, let them know you intend to stay for more than just a few nights and negotiate. You won't have the use of a kitchen - but you can find ways to eat out just as cheaply as buying your own groceries and cooking.