Please sign in to post.

Renting an apartment in France

I am looking into renting an apartment in Arles France in 2008. I have gotten a contract that asks for the rental amount, 500 euros as a security deposit and a proof of fire and theft insurance on the apartment. Is this normal and do you know anyone that insures property in another country?
Thanks

Posted by
4555 posts

Mary....We've rented several apartments in France, Spain, and Italy, and not once have we been asked to supply our own fire and theft insurance. I would have thought that would be the responsibility of the apartment owner. I'm not sure that any American insurance company would issue fire insurance on a foreign building unless they had complete details of its construction, local fire code regulations, distance from fire halls, local fire supression measures, etc....I doubt you could get all that info from the owner. Maybe consider another place?

Posted by
705 posts

I think they are just 'trying it on'. They probably hope you'll just sign and accept it as a norm. If you have your heart set on this apartment then I'd query it and see what they say, if not try to find another.

Posted by
852 posts

Mary, if you want to pursue this rental property, it is suggested you ask owners for a description of required coverage (for example, are they expecting you to show evidence of Fire and Theft Legal Liability coverage?). Meanwhile, check with an international insurance facility (USA yellow pages) for availability of coverage / pricing information. In any event, obtaining legal liability coverage for yourself [discreetly, your eyes only] against such perils as fire and theft - plus auto non-ownership liability coverage may be a prudent decision.
Hope your visit is wonderful. P.

Posted by
683 posts

We have rented in France , Austria, Hungary, Czech Republic and Germany and have never encountered such a demand. Unless this particular place is something special and you must have it, another apartment might be the solution

Posted by
852 posts

Mary, if it's not too late have a look at this web site:

...http://www.vacationinparis.com/

This company is based in the USA. Interestingly, you get your apartment key before you leave home... bon voyage. P

Posted by
149 posts

Hi Mary, I have rented many apartments in Tuscany, Paris, Beaucaire (near Arles), Normandy, Holland, and California. Right now I'm at a rental in Wailea, Maui, Hawaii, for a month. I have never had to pay more than 200 euros for a security deposit and never heard of needing to supply insurance. Find a different apartment; there are many in the Arles area. Charlie Robinson, Lodi, CA