Please sign in to post.

New Backpacker

I am going to be traveling around Europe for 3 weeks from Amsterdam to Munich to Vienna to Budapest to Prague. From Prague, I will be headed to Barcelona where I will spend 4 weeks studying abroad. During the first 3 weeks, I will be taking numerous trains to get from place to place. Can someone suggest what type of backpack I should bring on this type of trip?

Thanks!

Posted by
881 posts

Hi, Daniel. Will you be carrying the bag with you while sight seeing alot, or just heading strait to the hotel/hostel to drop it off?

I'd suggest checking out Rick's selection,

http://travelstore.ricksteves.com/catalog/index.cfm?fuseaction=catalog&parent_id=8

and REI. If you'll be carrying it everywhere, you might want a model with wheels - look for the models with the sturdy skate wheels.

http://www.rei.com/category/4501712

REI also carries a great selection of "Travel packs".
http://www.rei.com/category/4501760

I've had my REI pack for 15 plus years now. Europe 12+ times, entire summers in the Dominican, Africa - and it still looks like I just bought it. It's got a nice zip off day pack too.

**Best travel hint I've ever gotten: If you're traveling with the backpack, bring a nylon stuff sack to place it in, to keep all the straps from catching on the airport luggage machinery. Makes it easy to spot at baggage claim, and reduces the risk of dmg or loss!

Hope you have a great trip! Chris

Posted by
15007 posts

What is your definition of "backpack?"

Is it a serious pack with frame to be carried for hours a day. or, is a convertible bag with hidden backpack straps, mostly carried between transportation and hotel?

What size were you thinking about? Do you want it carry-on size for the plane or do you expect to check it while flying?

Posted by
881 posts

Hi, Daniel.

You'll find all the different types of packs Frank mentioned on the two links I provided.

If you have any questions about which one, let us know!

Posted by
32209 posts

Daniel,

If you're thinking of a "normal" Backpack (without wheels), the most important criteria is to be properly fitted according to your torso length. Even if I'm just walking from the station to the Hotel, I find it's important to have a properly fitted Backpack.

Some of the other features you might consider are a detachable Daypack (works great for carry-on if the main pack is checked) and stowable harness system (straps fit behind a zippered panel during air transport, so these are not torn-off by airport baggage handling equipment). You'll also have to decide if you prefer a "panel load" design or "top load" design, and the size of Pack. Given the fact that you'll be studying in Barcelona, you may need a slightly larger Pack than the average traveller, however keep Rick's advice in mind - "pack the same for three weeks as for three months".

Some brands you might check are Eagle Creek, Osprey, Gregory, Arcteryx or the Rick Steves line.

Good luck!

Posted by
12172 posts

For comfortable carrying, Ken is right.

If you aren't planning to wear the pack for long hours of walking, you may be more concerned with whether it can go on a flight as a carry-on. For me that's the bigger consideration - I find I rarely carry my bag more than two miles at one stretch and it's normally 1/4 to 1/2 mile.

For carry on, size and weight are everything. Rick's convertible carry-on is 14"x22"x9" which is the limit of what can normally be carried on. I use an ebag's weekender convertible carry-on. It's essentially the same size and has a few more features. When I bought mine it was about half what Rick was selling his for. Most "backpacks" are too long to carry on a plane and have to be checked. This adds time at airports on both ends and runs the risk of your bag being lost or damaged. If you're going with a true backpack, get a cover for when it's being checked so none of the straps get caught in machinery.

Weight is another big factor. My bag weighs about 3 lbs. empty and right at 18 lbs. fully packed (although I could get it down to 15 lbs. without too much effort). That's about the limit to carry on in Europe, going over that weight (even if it's the legal size) will require you to check. If you take any low-cost airlines in Europe, checking bags makes your ticket price go up quickly.

Posted by
2 posts

Just curious what extra features the Ebags convertible carry on has over Rick's?

Posted by
1158 posts

ebags.com is a good web site to look at different kind of backpack. The site provides a good range of technical information, pictures and reviews.

Posted by
12172 posts

My bag has a waistband, I don't think Rick's classic bag had one but his new one's do.

The front pocket on the ebags has some waterproof pockets and organizers that I don't recall Rick's classic bag having.

I've had mine for at least six years and it still looks good and works fine. I have some rubbing on one corner, other than that it's like new.

Posted by
1883 posts

If you are really backpacking. YOU need a backpacking bag. Not Rick's bags.

Check into High Sierra brand internal frame bags. Here you get really good quality (selected by Outside Magazine as a BEST selection) and a great price/value.

If you need a good bag for really hiking/walking around, find one with internal stays and a frame sheet, a good waist belt and lumbar support.

For 3 weeks, you should pack for 1-1.5 weeks, leaving room for stuff you may buy on your journey.

I'd recommend you make sure you buy the bag to FIT your body. Just running out and buying a bag like this because someone says "this is the best bag" is wrong. You should make sure you have your torso length fitting the bag. This isn't rocket science, it's easy, just measure from bottom of neck to top of waist, then match to the correct size bag.

Check into the follow models: Summit 45, Explorer 55. No need to go larger than these too sizes. The great thing about these bags is they also come with a rain cover. Think about walking in the rain to find your hostel, or to get to the train station without this feature...not fun, and lots of wet clothing.

Here is a link to the bags on ebags.com
http://www.ebags.com/high_sierra/summit_45/product_detail/index.cfm?modelid=88520

http://www.ebags.com/high_sierra/explorer_55/product_detail/index.cfm?modelid=88521

Posted by
32209 posts

Brad, your description of Rick's Packs was accurate. The older "classic" style Back Door Bag does not have a waist belt, while the newer Back Door Bag does. The length and design of the bag fits a specific torso range, but I don't have the specifics on what the range is. I was thinking of trying one on my next trip, and checked with Rick's Product Manager when I was at Edmonds last. Rick's bags won't fit me and most of the weight would be resting on my shoulders (there are no load levelling straps provided, as on my present Eagle Creek pack).

Daniel, again, have a look at the Eagle Creek products. They have robust construction and a great warranty (which I've had to use in the past).

Cheers!