Please sign in to post.

3 countries in 10 days-Is that doable?

My husband and I are planning a trip to Ireland, London, and Scotland this September. We were planning on flying into London and spending 3 nights there and then catching the train to Edinburgh and spending 2 nights there and then flying over to Dublin to spend 4 nights in various places in Ireland. We originally wanted to spend all our time in Ireland but we never get to travel internationally and want to make the most out of it. Does our plan seem doable? Or should we just stick to Ireland?

Posted by
19092 posts

" Ireland, London, and Scotland"

Sounds to me like 2 countries and a city.

Seems doable. At least the countries are not too far apart. But the first day, with jet lag, is hardly notable, and you'll probably fly out early on day 10, so you really only get about 8 days, and if you spend two of those day in transit, you are down to six good days (2 in London, 1 in Edinburgh, and 3 in Ireland).

You might want to check out the train time from London to Edinburgh. I see a lot of trains in less than 4½ hours. By the time you get out to an airport, check in, go through security, wait to board, flight time, deplaning, finding ground transportation and getting into town, you'll probably spend longer than that.

Posted by
7363 posts

Hi-I already replied to the question you posted in the Ireland section, but I'll add this here: we spent 2 weeks in Scotland last August, rented a car, and just scratched the surface. There's plenty that could keep us busy in any of those individual countries for 10 days, but a quick visit to each might warrant visiting one major city for 2-3 days and seeing things within it or very close by, especially if you're relying on public transportation and not spending huge amounts of time on the road in a rental car.

The town in Ireland we stayed in for visiting the Cliffs of Moher and The Burren was Lisdoonvarna, a little uphill and inland from Doolin.

Posted by
359 posts

I'd do just Ireland OR England and Scotland, not all three. You will waste so much valuable time traveling, checking into hotels, etc.

Posted by
16893 posts

Additional responses are on the 4 days in Ireland version of this question. Now that I see that you may have the option of focusing on Ireland, that would be my first choice.

Posted by
1717 posts

Hello kacikohlepp. I think one whole day at Edinburgh (2 nights) can be sufficient time there, if you will get out of the hotel at 8:00 in the morning. But I think a satisfactory trip in Ireland requires 4 whole days in Ireland, for you to go to two regions in Ireland. Therefore, in the amount of time that you have for travelling over there, I recommend : go to London and Ireland, only. I think two whole days in London can be satisfactory. (You probably will want to go to London again, in another trip).

Posted by
2261 posts

I think there's a lot more to Ireland than meets the eye, with several distinct regions, and it's not especially fast to go from point A to point B. 4 nights in various places means 2 each in two places-that's not a lot of Ireland.

My suggestion is to just do Ireland, and do it well. If you must (because we all must once in a while) take three nights in London for a taste, but not all three places. Stick to Ireland, plan on going back.

Posted by
32776 posts

I'm am trying to see the third country. Ireland is a country (well south of the border anyway), but London (in England) and Scotland are both part of one country - the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

It would be like you wanting to see three countries - California, Miami and Canada.

Posted by
11507 posts

I would split 10 days between two destinations.. because you have to take in account that each time you move you lose minimally a 1/2 day.. getting to and from hotels to airports or trains stations then on arrival etc..

You do realize that you could really make this a trip with two wonderful contrasts.. visit London and PARIS.. with the Eurostar you can travel city center to city center in less then 2 1/2 hours!!! And Paris is a bit cheaper since the GBP pound is so much more then a euro.. we found it easy to find a hotel room in central Paris for 100 euros.. but almost impossible to find the same in London for 100 GBPs!!

Posted by
1626 posts

Several years ago, we went on a 8 night trip and spent 3 nights in Dublin, flew to London for 2 nights, Eurostar to Paris for a night (we'd never been to Paris before), then back to London for the last two nights. Our flight from Dublin to London was early, so we were dropping our luggage at our hotel by noon. Even 4 nights in London wasn't enough time.

Last fall we flew into Edinburgh, spent 2 nights, but had three full days as we arrived at 10:00 on day 1 and took the train out of Edinburgh at 9pm on day 3. The balance of our two week trip included another 8 nights in Scotland, 2 nights in York, then London for a night before our flight home).

I'd recommend thinking about two destinations: Ireland and London, or London and Edinburgh.

Posted by
1878 posts

Ten days is too little to do these three, I think. Best would be to stick to England/Scotland because then you avoid having to get on a plane which is pretty much going to kill a day. Dublin is good for three nights, two full days. Outside of that you would not have any time for anything else in Ireland, with only one more day. I would consider five night in London, two in York, and three in Edinburgh. They are on a straight line on the train and it would be a lot less hassle and more time actually enjoying the cities in question. Edinburgh is easily worth two full days, three nights. Trains are better than planes because they go city center to city center, and are much less subject to delays and cancellations. I am planning my next trip to Ireland (with my wife) and I have trouble fitting it into two weeks, even though it's a small country. We spent two weeks in England alone in 2013, and I also have an itinerary in mind for a future Scotland trip of two weeks' duration. It's your trip and you should do what you want, but I really advise you to focus more narrowly.

Posted by
207 posts

Taking a flight in the middle of your vacation is a killer. You'll need to leave an hour early to arrive two hours early, then fly, and then get into the city. It essentially wastes a whole day.

There are no correct answers but I would just choose either ten days in Ireland or ten days taking your time connecting London and Edinburgh as there is much to do en route.