Please sign in to post.

Passport Safety

My wife and I are planning to visit Germany (Frankfurt area) and take day trips each day from our hotel. Should we leave our passports locked in the hotel safe and just carry copies, or do we need to always keep our passports with us? Thanks...

Posted by
505 posts

There's no legal reason to carry your passport, though if you are exchanging traveller's checks or money at a bank, you may need to show ID.

Otherwise, it's what you are comfortable with - I usually just leave my passport tucked into my suitcase or other bag, but out of sight unless I get bad vibes about the hotel. Most thieves will steal what they can find easily - they're not likely to rifle through things if it means being caught - better to move on to the next room.

Kate

Posted by
104 posts

I agree with Katie - We personally never carry unless we are doing money matters the actual passport only copies and we have been stopped and it was no problem.

Posted by
705 posts

Never carry my passport - way to important to loose. I leave it locked in the safe in the room or in the safe at reception. I don't carry copies either but do carry my drivers license which has photo & address. The only place I have ever been asked for my passport (other than the airport obviously) was in New York when I went for an appointment with the Australian Trade Commissioner. Funnily enough I had it with me that day for some reason.

Posted by
81 posts

Before you leave, scan the front pages of your passports and attach the images to a self-addressed e-mail. While this won't be of much use "on the street", it might help if you need to go to the embassy or consulate to replace them.

Posted by
4 posts

Thanks to everyone for their replies/personal messages. Based on the advice received, I plan to leave our passports at the hotel (locked in the in-room safe) and just carry copies. I'll also post copies on our family website so that they can be accessed electronically, if needed in an unforeseen emergency.

Posted by
354 posts

I wear a money belt every time I leave my hotel. Even though it is stuffed with passport, credit cards, cash, air/rail tickets, etc., it never seems bulky to me. I just slide the pouch around to fit in the small of my back, and soon forget I'm wearing it. Instant peace of mind. Even with this precaution, you might still bring a photocopy of your passport, hidden somewhere deep in your luggage, in case you lose or misplace your passport and need to get a replacement.

Posted by
970 posts

I lived in the UK for a few years. I never carried my passport on normal day-to-day business. However, I did carry it when I was out for a few days of touring. Never kept it, or anything else, in a hotel safe. I trusted my security more than I trusted the hotel's. For that matter, aside from airline and passport control staff, I can recall being asked for my passport only once: When I set up an account at a local bank.

Do what makes the passport secure as well as making you comfortable. There's no value in putting it in a hotel safe and then worrying about it all day, even if the safe really is secure.

Posted by
711 posts

My husband and I always wear a moneybelt when we travel. His is a little different than mine Mine is the standard one like Rick has and his hangs down from his belt inside his pants. We always carry our passport and money and credit cards with us. I feel that it is safer in a moneybelt than anywhere else. We do have copies in the locked suitcase and one with friends at home, but my passport is always with me.

Posted by
9363 posts

I carry my passport with me, too, while traveling.

Posted by
23178 posts

Notice how the tone of the postings changed from not carry to carry. I vote to carry. During 15 plus years of travel, I have always carry it. If I think I am going to need it that day, it will be in a secure pocket, if not, it is in the money belt. I have had to show it a number of times although it seems less frequent these days. I am glad I had it when I encountered an unexpected military sweep in France. I am not sure he would have been happy with a driver's license or a copy because he was a little inpatient with the time it took to get out of the money belt. Second, some travelers are overly paranoid about theft. Finally, if the one time you really need it, saying it is in the hotel safe might not cut it.

Posted by
1455 posts

Basically it depends how comfortable YOU are with the passport. I personally leave it in the room safe, since I am more comfortable traveling light as possible.

I DO have a copy of my passport emailed to myself.

Take a picture or scan and email yourself before leaving. If you cannot get your email off the internet, create a free one like on Yahoo, gmail or hotwire.

If I need to, I can go to any internet cafe and pull up my "Yahoo" email and get my passport copy. Then if I do have it lost or stolen, I can go to the US Embassy or Consulate with my information.

Posted by
808 posts

Keep in mind that hotel safes could also be accessed by hotel employees. I know, I worked the Hotel Front office of a major hotel earlier on in my career.

It always amazed me how often a guest would access their safety deposit box at checkout and actually leave something behind! You'd think this would be something they would double check, but often not...

So I am in favour of carrying my Passport with me at all times. It can easily be forgotton in the scurry of catching a flight. It's a pain to have go back for it once you're in the limo to the Airport, and stuck in traffic!

If you feel better checking your Passport into a safe, I'd strongly suggest retreiving it the night prior so it is not forgotton in the morning. A lesson learned the hard way is not soon forgotten!

Posted by
808 posts

Keep in mind that hotel safes could also be accessed by hotel employees. I know, I worked the Hotel Front office of a major hotel earlier on in my career.

It always amazed me how often a guest would access their safety deposit box at checkout and actually leave something behind! You'd think this would be something they would double check, but often not...

So I am in favour of carrying my Passport with me at all times. It can easily be forgotton in the scurry of catching a flight. It's a pain to have go back for it once you're in the limo to the Airport, and stuck in traffic!

If you feel better checking your Passport into a safe, I'd strongly suggest retreiving it the night prior so it is not forgotton in the morning. A lesson learned the hard way is not soon forgotten!

Posted by
104 posts

I always carry my passport in my money belt. If you are ever in any kind of trouble and you need to go to your Embassy or otherwise prove your citizenship, you will need your passport. I leave copies of my important documents hidden in my suitcase in the hotel. The suitcase is locked too.

Posted by
345 posts

I carry my passport in my MONEY BELT (hint, hint) and a color scanned copy stays in the suitcase.