Please sign in to post.

When to go?

Hello group, first thank you everyone who responded to my questions. I have a new one. I don't know for sure if it's been up here. When would be an ideal time to go to Europe? I want to either start in Paris and end in Rome or start in Rome and end up in Paris. I had originally thought September, but it may be more cost effective to go in late fall like october. I have side trips in mind, and the only one I'm concerned about weather wise is Normandy, I want to see Omaha Beach. My daughter is starting to get a little more involved now and I'm glad that someone suggested to me that I get her involved. On a side note, she is talking to a young army man, and he's told her that if she wanted to go to europe that bad he would buy tickets!! She said she would go visit almost anywhere but texas..I can't figure that one out. Any ideas when is the best time to go so we can get good prices and beat some of the crowds??

Posted by
3250 posts

Hi John,
This may not fit your time frame but there are some excellent deals to Europe in May and it's a beautiful time to travel!

Posted by
23276 posts

John, this is a very open ended question that is so vague that lot of people don't want to take the time for an extended response. And the answer is a bit obvious. Summer is peak travel for most parts and the further either side you are from summer the better. Christmas/New Years is an exception in some areas. Spring most place, Europe included, generally have more rain, and fall is dryer. My personal opinion is the best time is roughly mid-September to mid-November and, obviously, northern Europe would be colder earlier and southern Europe a little warmer.

Posted by
13 posts

Hi Sharon, Thank you for the response. I have been thinking of either May or April..my birthday is in April so maybe I should give myself a present! I love all this planning and research! Rick Steves really does have the friendliest people on his boards!

Posted by
13 posts

Hi Frank, Thank you too for answering me. Since this will be the first time. I want to try and make it fun and exciting for all who will be coming. Today my daughter said she would take the outside seat and I told her she was welcome to it..I was either thinking April/May or maybe October/November. I just know this is exciting, the planning and all. I guess part of the fun will be once we get there, all the plans could go out the door, as things happen I think once we are established there I want to go and find some local food and I read about Ostica Antica in Rick's book so I think I will try and squeeze that in, I still want to see Pompeii though.

Posted by
2030 posts

I have been to Paris a couple of times in October and found it wonderful.

Posted by
4555 posts

John....personally, I would prefer April-May to do Rome-Paris. Spring just seems more fresh, more full of promise. But you'd have to hustle to get a good airfare before they all disappear! Check the airlines, booking engines like travelocity, and blogs like airfaresales.blogspot.com for good deals. If you decide to go in the fall, later-September into October will miss most of the crowds and lower the price. Then I would do Paris-Rome so you can see Normandy before the weather starts to close in in October.

Posted by
135 posts

Hey, John - keep in mind that April and May have lots longer daylight hours and Rome is scorching hot in late spring and summer and early fall. Check all the airlines, European and Asian ones, too, for good deals. And, if the weather is bad, just dress appropriately and enjoy yourself anyway.

Posted by
12172 posts

Start in Paris the second half of September and work your way towards Rome.

Alternatively, start in Rome in the second half of April and work your way toward Paris.